PDA

View Full Version : 1-wire 6 volt alternator hookup

doctormap
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I am thinking of replacing the generator in my car with a 1-wire 6 volt alternator. Currently (no pun intended) the generator is hooked up to the voltage regulator, which is then wired into the ammeter. I have read that the 1-wire alternator hooks up to the battery, but shouldn't it be wired into the ammeter, which then is wired to the battery? That way, the ammeter should be able to register current flow from and to the battery.

Do I have this straight?

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door

Dick Steinkamp
05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by doctormap

I am thinking of replacing the generator in my car with a 1-wire 6 volt alternator. Currently (no pun intended) the generator is hooked up to the voltage regulator, which is then wired into the ammeter. I have read that the 1-wire alternator hooks up to the battery, but shouldn't it be wired into the ammeter, which then is wired to the battery? That way, the ammeter should be able to register current flow from and to the battery.

Do I have this straight?

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door

Yep. Like this...

http://static.flickr.com/48/151908987_cd661545de_o.jpg

I'd put a circuit breaker or fuseable link between the ammeter and the battery also.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

64V-K7
05-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Here are some tidbits I found out when installing a 6v pos ground alternator on my 55 Pres.

The alternators are usually a higher amperage than your ammeter can handle. To prevent the ammeter form pegging, you can loop a 8 inch piece of #10 or #8 wire across the poles on the ammeter. This will allow more current to pass, so the reading is more realistic and the coil inside the gauge won't burn up. The length of the wire determines the amount of swing.

You are supposed to wire the T2 spade to BAT terminal on the alternator to enable the charging circuit, but doing this makes it take a good rev to get it to charge right away. If you run the T2 inside the dash to the main harness someplace, it will sense a better voltage drop and kick the internal regulator to charge sooner at a lower RPM.

On my Pres, I just turned the generator mount around and drilled a 3/8" hole for the alternator mount, used washers to align the pulley and used the same belt and adjusting bar as the generator. It was mounted in about an hour.

BobJ

doctormap
05-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Thank you very much for the tips! I appreciate it. I know this sounds stupid 55Prez, but what is the T2 spade? I am just looking at the wiring diagram from the shop manual, and it doesn't identify the terminals.

doctormap
'48 Champion 4-door