PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Bearing Removal

mjeansonne
05-23-2006, 07:20 AM
I have a circa 1957 259 V-8 that I am trying to remove the clutch pilot bearing. I'm not having any success!! Yes, I'm using a pilot bearing remover... as well a liquid rust buster. The bearing still hasn't budged! I have to remove the bearing so I can bolt on the torque convertor... it won't go on without the bearing removed.

Any suggestions??

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

DEEPNHOCK
05-23-2006, 07:55 AM
One trick is to pack the hole with grease and use a metal rod the size of the input shaft pilot hole (slip fit). Tap (hit) the rod with a hammer and the hydraulic pressure created will push the bushing out.
Hope the info helps.
Jeff[8D]

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
Ocala, FL.
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

buddymander
05-24-2006, 12:18 AM
cut it with a jigsaw

studebakerkid
05-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Which pilot bearing removal tool are you using. The two jaw that presses against the crank is a good one. I have a slide hammer type and it works but not aw well as you can not apply as much pressure. I have even cut some of the bronze ones om half using a small cold chisel and a hacksaw blade.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
55 Commander Wagon
54 Champion Wagon
46 Gibson Model A

mjeansonne
05-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all the answers, so far. I was thinking about using a hacksaw blade and cutting it near the entrance and finish cutting it out with a cold chisel. I'm using a two jaw with slide hammer to try to pull it out, but no luck... its like there is not enough slide hammer weight.

52hawk
05-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Try deepnhocks method first.I remember the first time I did this,I was so amazed I was looking around for more pilot bearings to remove!!

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Chicken Hawk
05-24-2006, 09:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by mjeansonne

I have a circa 1957 259 V-8 that I am trying to remove the clutch pilot bearing. I'm not having any success!! Yes, I'm using a pilot bearing remover... as well a liquid rust buster. The bearing still hasn't budged! I have to remove the bearing so I can bolt on the torque convertor... it won't go on without the bearing removed.

Any suggestions??

????? The snout on the converter is the same as the input shaft on the stick trans (.750") and helps to center the torque converter. Is your bearing burred or ?? to keep the converter snout from entering the bearing?

Ted

Alan
05-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Harbor Freight has a 3 jaw puller for less than $10

mjeansonne
05-24-2006, 12:35 PM
Ted;

O.K. so I didn't give the whole story... I'm converting to a 700R4 transmission and the snout (nub) of the G.M. convertor won't go into the hole far enough, because of the pilot bearing, I imagine. Any ideas? So I don't have the pilot shaft other than the one on the manual transmission and I don't want to take it apart because its a good transmission and someone may need it.

But thats an interesting solution that Deepnhock gave... I may try it this weekend when I get home.

N8N
05-24-2006, 12:45 PM
could you just drill or ream the existing pilot bushing to match the OD of the snout of the GM TC?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

mjeansonne
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Good question, Nate. Assuming all else fails I wonder if that is possible and what would you use to accomplish the job? I am going to put this engine in the truck temporarily until I have a chance to rebuild the one that came out of it originally. So the engine is still together and that is why I'm curious as to what techniques to use (that I haven't tried). I don't want to disturb anything. If the engine was apart, no problem... I would have the machine shop remove the bearing.

imported_n/a
05-24-2006, 04:16 PM
I have a Lisle(or KD?)tool that is self-tapping into the old bearing. Cost just over $10. It has a zirk fitting on the end that you pump grease into, so that the bearing comes out by hydraulic pressure.

mjeansonne
05-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Never heard of a Lyle or KD tool... where can you get them?

imported_n/a
05-24-2006, 06:49 PM
The tool is a Lisle #55600 clutch pilot bushing remover. It is manufactured by Lisle Corporation, Clarinda, Iowa. They supply all sorts of special tools for professional mehanics. A good auto supply store might handle them, but I bought mine in the tool department of a Farm and Home Supply Store. You have to use it with a grease gun, and it isn't recommended for use on steel bearings. Let me know if you can't find one locally.