This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing Champ hood

I am trying to install a hood on my 64 champ truck. It came off of a 59 Lark and seemed to fit very well when I took it off. However, on the champ the hood corners seem to "flip" up and won't meet the cowl lines properly. Any secrets to putting one of these on ? The front clip is unbolted and just setting on the frame.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

Ray F can comment on this better, but the hood should be fitted to the cowl first (well, after the doors). Then the fenders to the hood and doors. If the front clip is resting loose on the frame, and you are trying to make it all come together at once, there's your problem. Get the hood and cowl fitment right first.

Originally posted by Kdancy

I am trying to install a hood on my 64 champ truck. It came off of a 59 Lark and seemed to fit very well when I took it off. However, on the champ the hood corners seem to "flip" up and won't meet the cowl lines properly. Any secrets to putting one of these on ? The front clip is unbolted and just setting on the frame.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT
    [/quote]

Ron Dame
    '63 Champ
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Comment

I actually started with the hood first. When I got the hood to where it matched the cowl line just right, I would have to shim the front clip way way up to match the hood line and then that leaves big gaps at the bottom of the fender to door areas.

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 GT
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Maybe you are trying for allgnments that are un realistic in a forty year old vehicle. First off I start with the fenders and get them lined up so the doors close right. When it comes to the hood y9ou can cheat a bit because of the oval holes but fenders have to be so that the door does not rub them and you can only adjust the door so much or you will run into strike allignment problems.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        61 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment