PDA

View Full Version : hawk 58-61

studelover
05-20-2006, 03:52 AM
I am looking for a hawk for restoration, years 58-61 good floors and body. I am in the Maryland & Virginia area. The condition is important as I would like one reasonably complete. R. Bullock:)

jimmijim8
05-20-2006, 07:09 AM
Buy the one with the best body that you can afford. Even if you don't think you can afford it. Sometimes they are available for only a couple hundred more, sometimes less. There is no written rule. If you don't know what to look for take someone with you that does. Remember this: if you must have a rusty car, the joy of saving $$$$ when buying a rusty P.O.S will be long forgotten once you start the painstaking and sometimes aggravating task of rust repair. If you do settle for one that is rusted, you would be better with a C model.
They are much easier to do rust repair to in the floor areas. Hdtps. and G.T. Hawks {K models} are much more difficult to repair properly due to having sub floor boxes sometimes severely rusted and not evident until you remove the rocker panels. Arggh!!!!! Holy
Shrimp!!! Have patience when searching for your project. Don't buy the first one that you see. Easy projects can still be had. It is more fun to be riding in a Studebaker than de-rusting. Been there done that. This is my opinion only although others may share it also. jimmijim

Dick Steinkamp
05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by jimmijim8

Buy the one with the best body that you can afford. Even if you don't think you can afford it. Sometimes they are available for only a couple hundred more, sometimes less. There is no written rule. If you don't know what to look for take someone with you that does. Remember this: if you must have a rusty car, the joy of saving $$$$ when buying a rusty P.O.S will be long forgotten once you start the painstaking and sometimes aggravating task of rust repair. If you do settle for one that is rusted, you would be better with a C model.
They are much easier to do rust repair to in the floor areas. Hdtps. and G.T. Hawks {K models} are much more difficult to repair properly due to having sub floor boxes sometimes severely rusted and not evident until you remove the rocker panels. Arggh!!!!! Holy
Shrimp!!! Have patience when searching for your project. Don't buy the first one that you see. Easy projects can still be had. It is more fun to be riding in a Studebaker than de-rusting. Been there done that. This is my opinion only although others may share it also. jimmijim

I'd echo jimmijim8 said. Pay the price for a no or low rust car. Most of them are West of the Rockies. Don't be afraid to pay a couple of grand (maybe less) to have it transported to you. It is a small price to pay relative to the cost of rust repair AND you don't end up with a "patched" car that probably still has rust that wasn't found.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

studegary
05-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree. Get the best car that you can to start with. I am in New York State. I fought with rust for years. ALL of the Studebakers that I have owned in recent years have been from the west. Shipping is a lot cheaper than rust repair.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)