PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal retro fit for my 50

hebron
05-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi There

The DMV tells me that I have to have turn signals if I want to drive my 1950 Champion on the roads of Illinois. Problem is, they did not come with my car.

I have not found any retro fit kits from the suppliers. Maybe I am just missing it somewhere.

Anyone got any suggestions or maybe a supplier?

Thanks

Tim Porter
Hebron Illinois
1950 Champion 2dr

MikeW
05-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I put them on my 36 and I just picked up a turn signal unit from Ebay. Not hard to install if you use separate lights. If you want to use your existing lights you are gonna have to add dual filamnet lamps on the front. And rewire the brake lights for the rear. I also am in IL.
MikeW
www.packardhawk.com

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

N8N
05-19-2006, 07:20 PM
If you are not a purist, I have a "signal-stat" brand turn signal unit that I took out of my '55 coupe because apparently a PO did not know that factory correct parts were still available. You'll need a 6V flasher, a pilot light, and some rewiring to make it work, but if you are interested I can try to walk you through it. The hardest part will be changing the front lights to dual filament but again I will help where I can. Can you take a pic of one of the front parking lights with the lens off and bulb out, and also let me know what Mazda number bulb you are using? Is your car 6V or converted to 12V?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

hebron
05-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I will have to get over to the shop where the car is right now and try and determine some of these details. I think that I might be able to just use the front parking lights as turn signals. Who ever uses parking lights anyway? Not sure what is in the back.

While surfing around tonight, I ran across an outfit that makes a turn signal kit for installing in classic cars.

http://www.turnsignalsforclassics.com/

Anyone heard of this company and used their product?

Thanks

Tim Porter
Hebron Illinois
1950 Champion 2dr

studebakerkid
05-20-2006, 04:52 AM
Before you go to all that work make sure that what the DMV is telling you is the truth. If they are telling you that you have to install electric turn signals instead of using arm signals have then tell you the code so that you can look it up yourself. Your State is required by federal law to have the codes available and online. You can probably find a link at your states homepage.

I have found that just because some $%^& with a badge says so doesn't
mean that it is so.

If it turns out that you do need the signals then you can easily wire them in and all you need for a switch is a five dollar toggle stitch with on off on positions.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
55 Commander Wagon
54 Champion Wagon
46 Gibson Model A

N8N
05-20-2006, 07:14 AM
I like having the directionals myself... people don't understand hand signals anymore. fortunately the oldest car I've owned (not counting an abortive '49 Chevy street rod project) is my current '55 coupe which has them factory

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

studegary
05-20-2006, 03:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by hebron

Hi There

The DMV tells me that I have to have turn signals if I want to drive my 1950 Champion on the roads of Illinois. Problem is, they did not come with my car.

Have you checked this out on your state's web site, etc.? I find that requirement hard to believe. Does that mean that if you have a curved dash Olds or a Ford Model T, you have to install turn signals? I am not familiar with Ill., but in NY all cars starting with the 1953 model year have to have turn signals and cars older than that that have turn signals, the signals must be in working order. I agree that turn signals are a good thing to have, but I find it hard to believe that they are required on 1950 cars that did not originally have them. I have found that local DMV offices and police officers often give incorrect "requirements" for items that they don't come into contact with very often and are therefore unfamiliar with.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

MikeW
05-20-2006, 04:54 PM
I've never had anyone in IL DMV even ask if my cars had turn signals. I put them in because I think they are a great safety device. N8 is correct that very few drivers today even know what had signals mean. They will just wave back at you. The IL Secretary of State does have a website. Check it to find out what the law really is. I had a cop in IL once try to tell me I had to have seatbelts in a 1958 Hawk. The law only applies to cars built after 1963. He had no idea what he was talking about. But at least he was willing to take my word for it and admitted he really did not know the law.

Mike
www.packardhawk.com

N8N
05-20-2006, 09:39 PM
you won't need to do anything to the rear sockets, they are already dual filament bulbs, just run an extra wire to the back of the car because you will need to separate left and right. In the front your parking light sockets probably take a single filament bulb unless your car was originally equipped with directionals; that's why I was asking about them. You *may* be able to use a "repair kit" to change to a dual filament bulb in the same socket if the sockets are the right size, but then they take a weird bulb, I have the numbers squirrelled away somewhere.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

chocolate turkey
05-21-2006, 08:56 AM
Just last week I installed a set of signals on a 1949 Stude pickup. The owner purchased the kit from NAPA. Kit number 902. It was a "two wire" kit that required having separate lights. Had to change the indicator bulb in the unit to a 6v. bulb, but other than that, worked well. The flasher was purchased new as well.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

hebron
05-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I just checked the Illinois Sect. of State website and found this:

Illinois statute Section 12-208B

basically this: if it does not have antique auto plates, it MUST have operating electronic turn signals.

No wiggle room here. If I want to drive this for a pleasure vehicle without the antique plate restrictions, I must install turn signals.

Thanks for the help, to everyone.

Tim Porter
Hebron Illinois
1950 Champion 2dr

N8N
05-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Tim,

have you had a chance to look at the bulbs/sockets in the front yet? If you don't have a digicam, just tell me if a 1156 bulb will physically fit in the socket and that will tell me most of what I need to know to try and help you.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

hebron
05-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Nate

No, I have not been over to check out the light sockets. It is in the shop having the engine rebuilt and I have been swamped here at work.

I did recieve a copy of the shop manual today and the book says the front lights could be either single or dual filament. Mazda 1158. The wiring might be ready to fly.

I have run across several of the aftermarket turn signal units on Ebay for about $25-$30. Even have an indicator light in the end of the lever. Might go with one of these. They do not look too bad.

Thanks

Tim Porter
Hebron Illinois
1950 Champion 2dr

N8N
05-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I have one of those units if you're near me (MD/DC/NoVA.) If the book calls for an 1158 bulb you are good to go; the only thing you might have to do is get a "repair kit" for each socket to change from a single filament bulb to a dual filament. I have the installation sheet scanned for the Signal-Stat turn signal unit, drop me an email if you need it. You will need to run two wires from the turn signal switch to the front of the car, and two to the rear (you can use the existing brake light wiring for one side) and bring the brake light directly from the switch to the new turn signal switch (should be a connector somewhere near the MC where you can intercept it.) then take +12V from somewhere and send it through a flasher (I just zip tie them to the top of the steering column under the dash where you can't see them, but there might be a better location on your car) to the unit. Use a 3-wire flasher if your unit has a pilot light. You want to use unswitched 12V if the unit you are using has the built in hazards, just make sure to turn the directionals off when you leave the car.

good luck!

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

studebakerkid
05-24-2006, 05:54 AM
Actually Nate you do not have to get the other bulbs you can modify 1157 bulbs to work fine. Just use a small file and file off the offending pin and use a soldering iron to put a blob of solder in the right place.

This way you can get the 1157NA bulb that is yeller and put it behind a clear lense.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
55 Commander Wagon
54 Champion Wagon
46 Gibson Model A