This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to Duncan McRae?

We know he did design work on the Lark and we know he was in charge of styling at Studebaker for a few years, at least. I've read probably at least a little about practically all the other designers at Studebaker and those that worked for Loewy. What ever happened to McRae? You'd think he'd be right up there, since he was so involved with the Lark. He's some sort of shadowy figure who's always mentioned, but never described. Is he still alive?

McRae worked on the 1951 Kaiser. In later years he worked for Ford on the English Cortina & Consul and the German Taurus. He later retired to his sheep ranch in Australia. After that, I don't know. I guess that you could research it.

At Studebaker, McRae had some good things and some not so good. He did the nice interiors in the 1956 sedans. He was also responsible for the headlight pods and fins on the 1958 sedans. McRae's team, including Bob Doehler and Virgil Exner Jr., came up with the Lark. The Lark's basic shape was Bill Bonner's. McRae left Studebaker and went with Ford after the initial Lark. Chief Stylist Randy Faurot did the '61-'62 Lark facelifts. Brooks Stevens did the '63-'64 facelifts. Duncan McRae also came up with a design for a Ranchero style pickup, but Studebaker was not in a position to manufacture it.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It would be interesting to see a comprehensive article on Duncan McRae. I did not know McRae designed the interiors of the 1956 sedans. Considering what all he did not have to work with moneywise, the 1958s weren't bad and certainly no worse than some other big money efforts from GM (Buick and Oldsmobile) or Ford (Edsel).

Now...who designed the junior Lark prototype circa 1961?

Studedude1961
      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studedude1961

It would be interesting to see a comprehensive article on Duncan McRae. I did not know McRae designed the interiors of the 1956 sedans. Considering what all he did not have to work with moneywise, the 1958s weren't bad and certainly no worse than some other big money efforts from GM (Buick and Oldsmobile) or Ford (Edsel).

Now...who designed the junior Lark prototype circa 1961?

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser
        Randy Faurot's stylists Ted Pietsch and Bob Doehler did the styling on what was to be a smaller Lark for 1962. This was killed by Sherwood Egbert. He said that the dealers wanted a larger, not smaller, car. Randy Faurot's original design for the 1962 went into production. Egbert hired Brooks Stevens who came up with the 1963s.

Gary L.
        1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
        1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
        X