This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 speedsters

Does anyone know how many 55 speedsters are on the road and in the process of being put back on the road?

Thanks

Forrest

It MAY be possible to research how many 1955 Speedsters are registered. Many restored, collector cars are not registered. I also believe that it would be impossible to even estimate the number of 1955 Speedsters hiding in people's garages, barns and back lots. I would say, take the number listed in the SDC Roster and multiply by ten for a rough guesstimate. The number of 1955 Speedsters still in existance is more than 100 and less than 2215. Why would you want to know?

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Impossible to say, but I'd guess about 300-500 of the 2215 made are still around.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
      Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
      64 R2 4 speed Challenger
      63 R2 4 speed GT Black
      63 R2 4 speed GT White
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Avanti
      62 Daytona HT
      53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

There are a number of people in the club who have attempted to compile registries of various individual examples of the marque.

Suffice it to say, those who are aware of the registries have probably submitted information on their vehicles to those registries.

Those who are not aware, and those who are not members and never will be aware of the registries, have not and will not submit the information.

I read several years ago there are an estimated 91 Rocknes still extant. I believe that to be a very low estimate.

Larry Tholen, treasurer of the Antique Studebaker Club is compiling a Rockne Registry. ltholen@cox.net

Does anyone know of other members who are compiling registries for individual models? It would be a good idea for SDC to advertise and encourage participation in these registries.

Would it be plausible to have a page on this website specifically for those registries?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There is a registery for Speedsters being worked on now. I have a copy of an old one, but there are a lot more now then there were then. A least a dozen in the Minneapolis area, not all running.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

Rockne10: There has been a section listing registries on the SDC web site's Valuable Links page for a long time.

If the administrator of the Rockne Registry (or any other Studebaker related registries out there) requests to be listed I will happy to include it.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
            sigpic
            Bob Shaw
            Rush City, Minnesota
            1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
            "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I just wanted to know how rare a bird I have
              quote:Originally posted by JDP

Impossible to say, but I'd guess about 300-500 of the 2215 made are still around.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
              Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
              64 R2 4 speed Challenger
              63 R2 4 speed GT Black
              63 R2 4 speed GT White
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Avanti
              62 Daytona HT
              53 Coupe

Comment

There were 13 at the last national at South Bend. For a mfg. count of 2215, I think the survivel rate is vary high. They were special when they came out and a lot survived because of that. My old roster has over 300 on it but there are a lot more not regestered. Since Fred and I started to redo the old roster, we have added 40 to it but lost a bunch also.
                I have Speedster no 277, Fred has Speedster no 1257.
                The funny part of this is we often find several owned by the same person. Most not drivable.
                Klif
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

Working...
                X