This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-K fenders

New member (CB Burkhart) looking for both front and rear fenders for a 1953 HDTP. Surface rust okay, just don't want the rusted out and dented ones like he already have. An R2 has been purchased for the car, haven't decided on the tranny yet.
    Buck's first car was a 53 that he drove many miles and of which he had many fond memories. He is retired now and comes over to my shop and helps me so he can learn body work and such so he will be able to do his Stude project.

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

Love to know how he'll mount the blower to clear a 53 hood. You can use the Avanti mount, but then you have radiator issues.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Love to know how he'll mount the blower to clear a 53 hood. You can use the Avanti mount, but then you have radiator issues.

Here's Scott Hall's...

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I've heard you can make the clearance by reducing or eliminating the front mounts.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Looks like he moved the radiator forward the width of the rad. support, filing away for future reference...

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I've seen several done without cutting the hood. The above picture of Scott's car is a nice one.

53commander HDTP
            53 Champion HDTP
            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
            64 Champ long bed V8
            64 GT
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

It's when you use the top mount supercharger, as on a Golden Hawk, that you end up with hood issues in a C/K (BTDT). The R2 side mount, as pictured, shouldn't give you a hood problem.

Gary L.
              1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
              1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's what I wanted to see, how to move the radiator and how much cutting on the inner fender. I've always wondered if Studebaker ever made any R3 inner fenders for GT's even though they never sold one.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
                64 R2 4 speed Challenger
                63 R2 4 speed GT Black
                63 R2 4 speed GT White
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti
                62 Daytona HT
                53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

That's what I wanted to see, how to move the radiator and how much cutting on the inner fender. I've always wondered if Studebaker ever made any R3 inner fenders for GT's even though they never sold one.
                  I would imagine that Studebaker would have had the Engineering Department modify an existing inner fender if the need to make an R3 Hawk arose.

Gary L.
                  1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                  1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

<<That's what I wanted to see, how to move the radiator>>

Ok- I'll bite
                    Why would you have to move the radiator with either set-up??

I'm missing sumpin here

Inquiring minds want to know- since I have this thing about putting a blower on my '55 when I finally get rich

And there is a '53 that shows up at South Bend every year but this one with a top mounted blower and the stock hood closes just fine
                    I think he used the thin motor mounts-- operative word being *think* since I've taken pics of it and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary under the hood

Comment

with the Avanti style blower setup, the pulleys stick out a lot farther from the front of the engine, therefore the fan is farther forward as well. This incidentally is why the Avanti got a HD water pump, the WP bearings take a lot more abuse than in any other Stude.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      62 Daytona hardtop
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Anyway, I'll take a set of fenders too - and doors.

Frank Starr

Comment

ps - I'm in Seattle.

Frank Starr

Comment

I have two rusty C/K fenders from a Hawk, and one passenger side with
                            surface rust on primer from a 60 Hawk. I also have all the glass for a
                            C/K coupe, and passenger coupe door. I am located in southern Cali.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
                            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

What year coupe door?

Comment

Working...
                              X