X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 engine block color?

Hi

As long as I am at it, it should be correct.

Any one know what would be the proper color to paint the engine block on my 1950 Champion? Doing a complete rebuild and gonna paint it anyway.

Thanks

Tim Porter
    Hebron Illinois
    1950 Champion 2dr

It's a olive drab, sort of the old bell Telephone green, many vendors sell it.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group

64 Daytona HT
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Black
    63 R2 4 speed GT White
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    62 Daytona HT
    53 Coupe

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I wish it had been different. Yuch.

Oh well......olive drab it is!

Tim Porter
      Hebron Illinois
      1950 Champion 2dr

Comment

quote:Originally posted by hebron

Hi
        Any one know what would be the proper color to paint the engine block on my 1950 Champion? Doing a complete rebuild and gonna paint it anyway.
        Thanks
        Tim Porter
        I have seen a number of different variations of this color on 'restored' cars.

I purchased my paint from Chuck Collins (studebakerparts.com) for my '54. The color of Chuck's paint is quite dark, but not drab. It matched the original color real well that I found in protected areas.

One comment, I sprayed the transmission and bellhousing this past Saturday afternoon. As of yesterday afternoon, the paint was still 'soft' (ie, could dig up some with your fingernail). We will see how much more it hardens.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

It was the 1930s-1940s 30 weight engine oil green. I have used the green engine paint for Packards for a good match to original.

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

r1lark,,I don't know what climate you're in,but some heat may be needed to set up your paint.Cool air and humidity may be screwing with you. Close the doors,but provide some ventilation, and put a small space heater near the engine for a few hours.

LaSalle,Il
            61Hawk
            60Lark
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

My brother is restoring a 50 Pontiac Chieftan. Theres not much imfo (or parts) out there for these cars,so he asked an old freind of ours who has run a junkyard for many years what color the engine block should be.
              His answer"The only ones I ever seen were RUSTY"

Comment

Working...
              X