PDA

View Full Version : Tool question - home garage lift? anyone have one?

sbca96
05-12-2006, 10:31 PM
I have been looking at some of the ads in the back of the car rags,
and they always have these lifts. Has anyone seriously looked into
any of them, or even better, bought one? There are 4 legged electric
ones, and one that rocks when you drive up on it.

I was thinking that my 'rear' patio on the side yard would be a great
place for one of these lifts, or in the garage until then.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46299

http://www.kwiklift.com/

http://www.superlifts.com/s9f.html

http://www.superlifts.com/sj7000.html

http://www.doublepark.net/

I am hoping to find one used, I found a few two post ones, but the
downside to a two post is the doors open into the posts!

Thanks guys!

Tom

PS : Yes Jeff I cross posted this. It's on the Impala site as well![:0]

1963 Studebaker Avanti (http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/63avanti.jpg), 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.

gordr
05-12-2006, 11:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by sbca96

I have been looking at some of the ads in the back of the car rags,
and they always have these lifts. Has anyone seriously looked into
any of them, or even better, bought one? There are 4 legged electric
ones, and one that rocks when you drive up on it.

I was thinking that my 'rear' patio on the side yard would be a great
place for one of these lifts, or in the garage until then.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46299

http://www.kwiklift.com/

http://www.superlifts.com/s9f.html

http://www.superlifts.com/sj7000.html

http://www.doublepark.net/

I am hoping to find one used, I found a few two post ones, but the
downside to a two post is the doors open into the posts!

Thanks guys!

Tom

PS : Yes Jeff I cross posted this. It's on the Impala site as well![:0]

1963 Studebaker Avanti (http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/63avanti.jpg), 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.

Once I get the floor poured in my new shop, I will be looking for one of these, most likely a 4-post job. Two-post lifts are OK for wheels-free jobs like brakes and suspension, but any one I've used allows the vehicle to rock in a fore-and-aft direction, sometimes to an alarming degree. And a slight error in the placement of the pads can cause severe damage or even result in the vehicle taking a dive. NOT a good idea for someone like myself who works alone. With a four-post lift, one can simply drive on it, and lift away. Much quicker for routine service, and hard to beat from a safety standpoint. I looked at a 4-post lift last weekend which had available hydraulic jacks which could be slung on the ramps and used to lift the wheels on one or both ends of the vehicle. Some other 4-post lifts have an arrangement whereby you can position fixed pads under the chassis, and then lower the ramps away to leave the wheels free.

Another consideration: four post lifts are portable, and simply sit on the floor, without a need to be bolted down. AFAIK, two-post lifts must be securely bolted to the floor. Imagine a short-box pickup, box empty, set on one....

Remember when it used to be a common sight in rural areas to see a pair of plank ramps extended out over a gully or hillside?

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Rosstude
05-13-2006, 12:22 AM
I do not own one....yet. After several years of saving, thinking, speaking with fellow car nuts, and considering my usage and the thickness of my barn floor, I have decided on a four post lift. I got opinions for and against both 2 and 4 post units.
Anyway, I have decided on this one,
http://www.asedeals.com/garage_lift.html
I like the built in USA fact, and the free shipping offered by this company. They can be had cheaper, I have two friends with 4 post lifts made in China (I think) and they have held up just fine, and they payed about $1700.
I am not getting any younger, the floor jack, jack stands, cardboard and knee pads work OK, but one of these units would be real nice on the ole body.
Alas, I will not have it in time to install the Turner kit I got today[^] I cant wait[:p]

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

sbca96
05-13-2006, 05:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Rosstude
After several years of saving, thinking, speaking with fellow car nuts, and considering my usage and the thickness of my barn floor, I have decided on a four post lift.

Thats been another reason why the 4 post seems the better route, my
garage floor is maybe 4 to 5 inches thick, thats not going to hold
that much weight all focused in one 10 inch wide spot. You figure
its about 1500 pounds for the lift, then 4000 for the car .. ouch!
The link you posted is pretty nice, none of them seem to list their
current price, they want you on the phone - that bugs me.

quote:I am not getting any younger, the floor jack, jack stands, cardboard and knee pads work OK, but one of these units would be real nice on the ole body.
Alas, I will not have it in time to install the Turner kit I got today[^] I cant wait[:p]

I hear yah on the pains in the body, I am "only" 36 years old, but the
back pain is common in my genes. I have dealt with that all my life,
so after a BIG job, I am in serious pain. Good luck with that Turner
brake setup - do me a favor and DONT throw out your hubs, next time I
am down in LA, I will stop by and pick them up. I hope you dont mind
glowing red hot metal rings!![:0]

Thanks guys for your input .. I am still figuring out how I can afford
one of these lifts. Think they might trade for an IROC?;)

Tom

ROADRACELARK
05-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Tom,
Rotary sells a twin post lift that is asymetrical(sp) that allows you open the doors when it's on the lift. Weight ratings are 7K and 9K and most of these type lifts can be mounted on your thickness of concrete. IMHO the "drive up on lifts" causes more work for you to do a brake job. Plus the "4-posters" take up much more space. I've have a twin-post Rotary in may shop for years, and I wouldn't do this kind of work without it. Sure does save that ole' back.
Dan Miller

studeclunker
05-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've seen ads that show one of those four post lifts with a frame lift attachment. I think it was Garage Lift or something like that... I've always wanted one of those (this is where I drool copiously[:p]). And as previously mentioned, they're portable. Though an installation on the side of one's house, visible from the street may be a problem. Your neighbors and the local zoning board might have a problem with it.

Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith

sbca96
05-13-2006, 07:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by studeclunker
Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've seen ads that show one of those four post lifts with a frame lift attachment. I think it was Garage Lift or something like that... I've always wanted one of those (this is where I drool copiously[:p]). And as previously mentioned, they're portable. Though an installation on the side of one's house, visible from the street may be a problem. Your neighbors and the local zoning board might have a problem with it

Yes .. the 4 post ones have an option for one or two sliding jacks
which can lift the car off the rails - like an alignment rack. I like
this setup for the balance, though the weight/cost is greater then a
2 post. I like the 4 post because you can inspect the car while it
sits at ride height, where with the suspension hanging .. you cant!

As far as the zoning/visible ... here is where it would go :

http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/garage/garagedoor01.JPG

http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/garage/garagedoor03.JPG

http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/garage/garagedoor05.JPG

As you can see .. its on the side of the house, but behind the garage,
so its not really visible, other then to my next door neighbor. I have
the garage door up, but need to finish the tracks. Then I cut the
hole and put up the finishing boards.

FYI for the eagle eyes, yes thats a pass side Hawk fender, the stack
of tires are for a '95 Caprice 9C1.

Tom

Rosstude
05-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I looked at the Rotary lifts, nice units, commercial quality, they are the real deal to be sure. I have wafted back and fourth between 2 and 4 post. I can see the advantages of each. But until I win the lottery, and build a big metal building designed to hold at least 12 cars, a service bay, shop area, bathroom etc, I will just have to make due with what I have ( which is more than I thought I’d ever have anyway). My barn has a concrete pig pen underneath it, the floor is about 6"-8" thick with steel reinforcements cast in, and a concrete stem wall divider running length wise underneath. Still, I do not want to push my luck, as it was “home built” in the 1920's, and the steel is likely whatever he had laying around, and the concrete was mixed on site, and the cement brought in a pick up load at a time. The home was part of a “company town” for Riverside Cement, and the employees had free cement, if they could carry it home.
I am 48 now, and a weekend thrash on a car leaves me sore in the back and hands, but I press on, I do enjoy it. ( the work, not the pain)

I will save the hubs, I see other Studes in my future, and in my driveway for that matter, and besides, I never throw anything away.
I love red hot steel.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

Chris Pile
05-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Cytech's Double Park is made here in Wichita, and I know several guys who have bought and are enjoying them. They all have mentioned the robust construction and ease of use. As long as the ceiling is high enough in the garage you should have no problem with installation.

rockne10
05-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Anyone tried these portable scissor lifts?
http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-LM/MD-6XP

sbca96
05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rosstude
I will save the hubs, I see other Studes in my future, and in my driveway for that matter, and besides, I never throw anything away.
I love red hot steel.

Thats good, I fear that too many people are throwing them out when the
swap is made to the Turner brakes. I NEED those hubs for my awesome
13" two piston caliper Cobra brake setup I designed. I fear heating
metal up like that, I also hate torches.

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

Anyone tried these portable scissor lifts?
http://eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-LM/MD-6XP

I saw those .. the upside is that it leaves the wheels dangling and
easy to work on, the downside is it covers up everything UNDER the
car that you might want to get to, trans, drive shaft, exhaust, etc.

Tom

60Lark
05-17-2006, 01:16 AM
I have a friend that bought a 4 post lift, about a year ago, now he doesn't know how he accomplished anything without it. Plus he bought the full oil drip trays and doubles up on his car storage with one up and one down.

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil

sbca96
05-17-2006, 12:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by 60Lark

I have a friend that bought a 4 post lift, about a year ago, now he doesn't know how he accomplished anything without it.

Thats how I feel about my Harbor Freight Shop Press!;)

Tom

prager
05-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Hello all, I have just purcsahed a two post from Greg Smith Equipment, in Indianapolis Indiana. I have also just poured my new shop floor at 5 inches thick where the posts need to sit.. I was told that this was pleanty enough to support the lift and car combo. You can enter the greg smith info into google and you'll find the site..very good pricing... I'll let you guys know how it turns out..

raprice
05-17-2006, 07:29 PM
A good friend of mine and a fellow club member installed a Back Yard Buddy in his garage. He told me that he investigated a bunch of these lifts and the Backyard Buddy is by far the best one. Very strong and steady. He feels safe and confident working under the car.
Just food for thought.
Rog
'59 Lark Regal Hardtop

Commander51
05-18-2006, 05:44 AM
I purchased a KwikLift two years ago. I'm okay with working on creepers, but I just don't trust jack stands, even the massive ones. With a KwikLIft, there's just about zero chance of a fall. The working height is just about ideal for me (with 35" shirt sleeved arms). I really like the fact that you can park on it when flat, so there's no teardown to hassle with. I also like the fact that there's still some cash in my wallet as compared to non-mechanical lifts...

If you're looking for a maintenance tool for your shop, Kwiklift is a winner. If you're looking for more parking space, Backyard Buddy seems to be the beefiest...

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

bradnree
05-22-2006, 08:10 PM
I bought an asymetrical two post ROTARY lift. One phone call and the lift was installed. It's the "you get what you pay for" situation. I didn't want to be under a cheap lift and a 4,000 lb. car. I read many of the ads in car mags, made phone calls, looked at several at car shows, and looked at what professional shops use. I believe ROTARY now has a "hobby" lift for less money. A two post is much handier, and if you place the arms properly the rock 'n roll is eliminated. ROTARY provides a manual, safety materials, fluids, installation in a complete package. Go to Car Max or other large shops and you are going to see two posts in action of various brands, and rows of them. There are many high quality lifts available.....BRAD

studebakerkid
05-24-2006, 06:08 AM
I have used all of the lift types and I am thinking that I will wind up getting the old style frame/bumper lift type. They don;t take up a bunch of space and when I am not going to use them for a while.....on the elevator and up to the second floor they go just like my drill press and A frame to save space.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
55 Commander Wagon
54 Champion Wagon
46 Gibson Model A

imported_n/a
05-25-2006, 02:47 AM
The benefits of a two post lift for some purposes are obvious, since the wheels hang free. However, I worked in a production shop that built stretch limos on 2-post lifts. A guy who had been doing this for 15 years was directly underneath, swinging a hammer to position a component for welding like he always had, but knocked one of the lift support arms out from under and ended up "wearing" a Lincoln Town Car! [:0]They are not as safe as a four-poster, IMHO.

Kdancy
05-25-2006, 06:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

The benefits of a two post lift for some purposes are obvious, since the wheels hang free. However, I worked in a production shop that built stretch limos on 2-post lifts. A guy who had been doing this for 15 years was directly underneath, swinging a hammer to position a component for welding like he always had, but knocked one of the lift support arms out from under and ended up "wearing" a Lincoln Town Car! [:0]They are not as safe as a four-poster, IMHO.

I have a single post hydralic lift built back in the 50's. I drilled several holes in the guide tubing so any time I put it up I slip a grade 8 bolt in one of the holes for safety just in case it would suddenly lose pressure. I don't trust any mechanical lift.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
61 Cursed Purple Hawk
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

bradnree
05-28-2006, 11:21 PM
the Rotary and other modern day quality
lifts have the arms locked in position when the car is on it and up off the floor so that the arms do not move and the vehicle can not fall. I just attended a National Street Rod Association show in Springfield Mo and Rotary does have a "hobby" lift. Look, look, look before you buy......brad

ROADRACELARK
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Just like some people don't wear seat belts, others would disable the locking assemblies on those arms claiming "they're a nusience". They're the ones bad things happen to.[xx(]
Dan

bradnree
05-29-2006, 02:52 PM
In three years of use I have never needed to disarm any of the safety features on my ROTARY lift to use it with tiny cars to e cab pickups. Let's hear from those who really own a lift....Brad

sbca96
05-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Wife wants to do something about the broken jacuzzi, either fix the
20+ year old one, or buy a newer used one. So its either a lift or
a jacuzzi. This is a tough one. I would LOVE to have the jacuzzi in
working order with my back the way it is, but it needs all the support
wood replaced, and an electrical problem. A used jacuzzi is about the
same price as a lift. Sigh. Of course I am not ready for a lift at
this exact moment, so maybe jacuzzi now (to help with the ails of the
Avanti work) and then a lift next year ..... hmmmmmm.

Tom

ROADRACELARK
05-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Tom, there's one positive note here... at least you AND your wife can use the j

ROADRACELARK
05-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Tom, sorry the cat stepped on the mouse[xx(] As I was saying, at least you AND your wife can use the jacuzzi,(together?):D The results might not be the same using a lift, (wheather it be a 2-post OR a 4-post)[:0]
Dan

Commander51
05-29-2006, 09:27 PM
No question here. Go with the Jacuzzi. When did you say her birthday was??

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

sbca96
05-29-2006, 11:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

Tom, sorry the cat stepped on the mouse[xx(] As I was saying, at least you AND your wife can use the jacuzzi,(together?):D The results might not be the same using a lift, (wheather it be a 2-post OR a 4-post

Thats funny ... cat stepped on the mouse!!! I had the cat do that on
the keyboard the other day, & with what she 'typed', shes got a foul
mouth!! The kicker is, the wife supports the car hobby, but then it
sure would be nice on the hurting muscles! Like today after all that
yard work this weekend.[xx(] Maybe I can price the wood, and see if I
can get the old one working again .. I dunno. Sure would like a lift!

Tom