Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans. bleed back problem - BW 3 band Auto. Trans.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans. bleed back problem - BW 3 band Auto. Trans.

This is a 1954 Studebaker Automatic - Borg Warner 3-band Transmission. After the car sits 3 or 4 weeks, there seems to be a drain back problem from the torque converter and the tranny fluid leaks out. Does anyone know how to prevent this?

If I'm recollecting correctly this problem occurs because there is fluid at a higher level in the torque converter than the rest of the transmission when the car is parked. Gravity wants the fluid to run to the lowest level and it has its way because there are a couple of seals at the input shaft that leak a small amount of air into the converter when it is at rest. The air coming in allows the fluid to flow out into the rest of the transmission where it reaches abnormally high levels and then leaks out usually around the shift linkage shaft. The solution is to replace the seals at the shift linkage and or the torque converter input shaft or drive the car more frequently which will tend to keep the fluid up in the converter. Hope this helps.

Tim K.
    '64 R2 GT Hawk
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

either the front pump bushing is worn or the convertor drainback valve is leaking, or it could even be wear on the convertor where it rides in the front pump bushing.

Comment

I had a similar problem on my 55 with a DG trans. When the car sat for a while oil would run out thru the speedo cable. I removed the cable and put schrink tubing the full length. It fixed the problem. The low point of the trans was the bottom curve of the cable.

Comment

Working...
        X