PDA

View Full Version : Avanti II ignition problems

55Studebaker
05-09-2006, 02:04 AM
Hey guys,
My dad's 1971 Avanti II that I'm selling I think has a bad ignition switch. I started it just over a month ago fine and yesterday I went to start it again and could not turn the ignition key into the on position. It would rotate back to turn on the accessories but not forward to fire the engine. I'm guessing that I have an AMC ignition as I have an AMC key for the car, and it is a tilt column. Any ideas? Also how do you remove the ignition switch from the column?

Thanks,
John

1955 Studebaker President Street rod
1960 Studebaker Lark 6 (project)
1971 Avanti II (For Sale)
1978 Plymouth Super Coupe
1978 Dodge Super Coupe (For Sale)
1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Survivor (For Sale)

Skip Lackie
05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
This is the great bugaboo of Avanti IIs -- trying to figure out what supplier was used to provide things like steering columns and ignition switches. My 74 has a GM steering column, so I bought a 74 Chevelle shop manual (the engine was destined for a 74 Malibu). If the AMC column is anything like the GM columns of that era, the actual switch is located at the bottom of the column and is moved by a long rod connected to the lock. So you have to figure out whether it's the switch, the lock, or the rod that is the problem. If it's the switch itself, it's probably just held on by a couple of sheet metal screws. Of course, it will also be connected to the rod and will have a connector with multiple wires coming out of it. If it's the lock mechanism that's stuck, you'll probably have to remove the steering wheel to get at it.

Since you're asking about an Avanti II, you may have more luck posting a question on the Avanti club Web site: aoai.org. They also have a forum. It might turn out that familiarity with 71 models is necessary to answer your question.
Skip Lackie

jcarmichael
05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
You might also try rocking the steering wheel as your key turns on the acc section it must be moving the switch but when you turn it to run it has to pull the steering wheel lock pin wich can get bound up.

1961 Lark

55Studebaker
05-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys. My Avanti does have the lock with the long rod. I lowered the column and found the rod and the switch. I'm able to move the rod with my hand and get the accessories turned on with the key in the ignition but I can't move it to turn on the ignition so I'm in the process of gettin at the switch which I hope to do tomorrow when I pick up another steering wheel puller as my old one is MIA.

1978 Plymouth Super Coupe (For sale in the near future)

Skip Lackie
05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Are you sure it's the lock? Are you sure the steering wheel lock pin isn't binding as JCarmichael suggests? Finally, before you go to the trouble of disassembling all that stuff in the top part of the steering column, pull the connector off the switch, remove the switch, and disconnect the rod. Does the lock still refuse to move into the on/start positions? If so, then it probably really is the lock.

55Studebaker
05-13-2006, 02:52 AM
it actually turned out to be the plastic gear that connects the lock to the rod, anyone have the correct name or a part number for this part?

two teeth are off of it and what is actually happening as the key turns the gear moves to the point where no teeth are in contact with the rod and the rod shifts and when the gear comes in contact with the rod again the key is unable to turn to the on position and seems "locked"

i'll head to NAPA tomorrow with the gear and see if there are any Chebby guys working there who'll know what it is

1978 Plymouth Super Coupe (For sale in the near future)