This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one back on the road

Hey, it rolls! It goes! It stops! I got the car out of the garage for the first time since I bought it. It's another 1950 Champion back on the road.
    I don't have the paperwork for it yet -- the previous registration sticker on the plate is 1990. I took the son for a drive around the block and down to the gas station to fill it up.
    I think I said something while driving like, "Now I remember why I bought this thing!" to my five-year old, and he just said "huh?". He likes the seatbelts and the extra pedal on the floor and the thing you have to move up and down near the steering wheel.

Problems: gas gauge and temp gauge on the dash don't work. Is it possible I reversed the leads to them on the gauges behind the dash when I re-did the wiring harness? Also, in re-installing the temp sensor in the head, I used a little teflon tape on the thread to get it to seal up nice. Did that screw up a necessary ground connection?
    Other problems: well, the interior. Like all of it. Seats, headliner, carpet, windlace, visors. Yech. Hey, it's just cosmetics...

Thanks for the advice to get it going again. It really purrs.

Sounds like a neat ride! Is it a Starlight coupe or....[?] To confirm your theory on the temp sender, clip a jumper wire of some sort to the outer body of the sender and then connect the other end of the jumper to a good ground.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It's a business coupe without the starlight option. Trunk is a mile long.
      I would have preferred the starlight body. But it was a good opportunity -- only 42,000 miles on it, little old lady only drove it to church once a month 30 years ago.

Comment

you'd rather have a Starlight than a biz coupe? (shakes head)

tell ya what, if I find a good deal on a Starlight can we trade?

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Sounds like a wonderful car.[] Congratulations!! You should pat yourself on the back for starting in the smartest place, the engine compartment. The rest (seats, headliner,etc..) come along in their own time.
          As for me, that trunk would be dangerous. Just a natural born packrat.

Congratulations again!

Lotsa Larks!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I'm with N8N on this. Those business coupes are much more attractive. The Starlight coupes have their charm - but a bullet-nosed Biz coupe.... THAT'S COOL![]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X