PDA

View Full Version : changing transmissions

dbs1864
05-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I am looking for a pristine '63 Avanti. I have found 2 that are close to what I want, but both have automatic transmission. Has anyone had experience with switching out an automatic for a manual? Bendix makes both, i believe. Is it practical to do? Anything can be done with enough money, I suppose, but is it "reasonable"?

Thanks for any input.

Dennis Smith
smithden1@comcast.net

gordr
05-07-2006, 12:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by dbs1864

I am looking for a pristine '63 Avanti. I have found 2 that are close to what I want, but both have automatic transmission. Has anyone had experience with switching out an automatic for a manual? Bendix makes both, i believe. Is it practical to do? Anything can be done with enough money, I suppose, but is it "reasonable"?

Thanks for any input.

Dennis Smith
smithden1@comcast.net

You should be able to do the swap OK, provided you can come with the transmission, the clutch linkage, bellhousing, flywheel, driveshaft, and the necessary console parts to effect the swap.

Both transmissions are made by Warner Gear, not Bendix.

Unless you can find a "parts" Avanti from which to remove all the parts you need, it'll be kind of tough to round up all the parts you will need, IMHO. And T10 trannies are expensive, too.

I once owned a 4-speed Avanti, and it was a fun driver, but the shifter was a constant source of noise. In all honesty, I'd have to say the Powershift automatic is the better choice for a car if you want to drive it a lot.

Bottom line: if you really want a 4-speed Avanti, simply wait until a good one shows up for sale, rather than buying an automatic car and trying to convert it. I suspect it will cost you less in the long run to go that way. And a plus factor will be that your car is still "original", at least as regards transmission type on the build sheet.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

dbs1864
05-07-2006, 03:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by dbs1864

Thanks for any input.

Dennis Smith
smithden1@comcast.net

dbs1864
05-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think your advice is sound.

N8N
05-07-2006, 03:15 PM
T-10s are expensive? I had a wide ratio 4-speed with bell for sale at SB and was asking $350 for it; nobody bit, Lee took it home. They are out there...

I'm not annoyed, worst case it will end up in my car (I bought it to get all the linkages and fiddly bits.)

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

DEEPNHOCK
05-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Chances are, a 'pristine' Avanti will also be a 'stock' Avanti, and swapping transmissions will take value away from the car.

N8N
05-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Forgot to mention, I highly recommend the Hurst shifter for any studebaker with a T-10. It makes so much difference in the refinement of the car, after riding down to Charlotte with JP in his '63 Hawk I will never run a stock Studebaker shifter as anything other than a temporary measure. (rattle, rattle, buzz buzz buzz)

There's nothing you can order from Summit or Jeg's that will fit an Avanti without cutting and welding, but Dave Thibeault makes a custom handle that basically mates a stock Avanti lever to the Hurst shifter and sells the whole mess as a kit.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

casey
05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
And nobody mentioned that for the transmission swap you need the longer bolts at the end of the crankshaft. And to install them you have to drop the pan. And there is virtually no mechanic on the face of the earth who can re-install a Stude V8 pan without oil leaks, just because they don't care enough. There are some Stude owners(fanatics)who can, but only because they care so much they're willing to lay under their Stude for a good part of a day, or even days, to do it.

JBOYLE
05-09-2006, 01:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N

Forgot to mention, I highly recommend the Hurst shifter for any studebaker with a T-10.
nate

Hurst made an aftermarket kit expressly for Avantis (the AOAI magazine reproduced an ad for it awhile back), who knows there still might be one out there... or Hurst could provide part numbers or a diagram of the parts it would take to match a Hurst to an Avanti.

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

Mike
05-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Hurst shifter kits were made up of two "packages". The mounting kit, and the shifter itself. The Avanti mounting kit, (arms, rods, mounting plate, and bolts), is the same as used for most T-10 applications that used the rear mounting holes; and is still available. I don't know of any other car that used the shifter shown in the Avanti ad. The lever kind of "zig-zags" toward the center of the car, to bring it through the original hole in the floor. The trick to getting a complete kit, as shown in the ad, would be to get Hurst to assemble a shifter with that lever; or to sell just the lever.
Mike M.