PDA

View Full Version : Offenhauser intake/engine question

new53
05-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I found a great deal so I picked up an NOS Offenhauser 232 4 barrel intake and the matching very flat air horn adapter for my 53 HT. I also picked up a 232 cam milled to R1 specs.

I see in the previous discussions that the manifold can be adapted for a larger carb base. What would my options be for using the old 4" stud spacing 4 barrel carb? I have an original 1954 Offenhauser catalog that shows the Stude manifold and the air horn. The catalog recommends using a 4 barrel Stromberg carb with this, but doesn't give anything other than an Offenhauser part number #2686. (BTW in '54 Offenhauser offered a high performance fan, finned valve covers, reworked stock heads - 8.5 to 1 comp., chrome wire looms, dual point breaker plates, and cast aluminum JE pistons.) I can't seem to locate any other reference to a 4 barrel stromberg carb. Does anyone have experience with the smaller carbs - any specific recommendations? Will any 4 barrel with 4" stud spacing do the same job? I'll probably consider switching to 259 heads and 259 exhaust manifold. I plan on driving this 5-10K per year. I figured the manifold and cam would add a nice zip.

Finally, this is my first Stude, and I know it's hard to quantify, but if I keep the original heads, add the 4 barrel, and change to a better exhaust manifold, is it still [u]that</u> much of an improvement to go find some 259 heads?
Thanks.

G. Howes

Roscomacaw
05-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Later heads should make more difference than all that add-on stuff. Without the larger valves, that's where the bottleneck will be[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

whacker
05-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I think the carburetor you are looking for is the WCFB. A fine carb, but it is hard to find a good one. Expensive, too. If originality isn't your real goal, there are very good Edelbrock and Carter carbs that will work very nicely. You can get an adapter plate to mount the different bolt size to your manifold. You may need to be careful with hood clearance, tho. I agree with Biggs about the heads. The bigger valves will move a lot more mixture through the cylinders. They should be a great bolt-on improvement. Be sure to check that the valves don't hit the edge of the cylinder bores, if they are real close you may need to releave the block a little for clearance.

Dan White
05-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Stromberg did make 4bbls for various applications and makes. Here is one on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-BUICK-STROMBERG-4-BARREL-CARBURETOR_W0QQitemZ8062463697QQcategoryZ33550QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewI tem

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

DEEPNHOCK
05-07-2006, 10:13 AM
I agree with the others about the heads making the biggest difference right off the bat. That Offy manifold is sized right for your engine, but carb choices are going to be expensive if you stay with a period piece. You can buy an adapter plate from Mr. Gasket for about $25 to allow you to put a more modern AFB Edelbrock carb (500 cfm max)on there, but you need to watch the hood clearance issue again. Avanti 'thin' motor mounts will help some. I have machined some off of the Offy manifolds, and built a thinner plate to mount the carb to keep things low. You have to bore the inlets on the manifold to use an AFB with a thin plate.
Here are some pic's of one that was done this way...
http://community.webshots.com/album/237102393dLhvsq
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/deepnhock/AFBOffyPolished.jpg
If this type work seems like it might help you out....give me a shout...
Jeff

quote:Originally posted by new53

I found a great deal so I picked up an NOS Offenhauser 232 4 barrel intake and the matching very flat air horn adapter for my 53 HT. I also picked up a 232 cam milled to R1 specs.

I see in the previous discussions that the manifold can be adapted for a larger carb base. What would my options be for using the old 4" stud spacing 4 barrel carb? I have an original 1954 Offenhauser catalog that shows the Stude manifold and the air horn. The catalog recommends using a 4 barrel Stromberg carb with this, but doesn't give anything other than an Offenhauser part number #2686. (BTW in '54 Offenhauser offered a high performance fan, finned valve covers, reworked stock heads - 8.5 to 1 comp., chrome wire looms, dual point breaker plates, and cast aluminum JE pistons.) I can't seem to locate any other reference to a 4 barrel stromberg carb. Does anyone have experience with the smaller carbs - any specific recommendations? Will any 4 barrel with 4" stud spacing do the same job? I'll probably consider switching to 259 heads and 259 exhaust manifold. I plan on driving this 5-10K per year. I figured the manifold and cam would add a nice zip.

Finally, this is my first Stude, and I know it's hard to quantify, but if I keep the original heads, add the 4 barrel, and change to a better exhaust manifold, is it still [u]that</u> much of an improvement to go find some 259 heads?
Thanks.

G. Howes

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
Ocala, FL.
'37 Coupe Express
'37 Coupe Express Trailer
'61 Hawk
http://community.webshots.com/photo/42559113/426827941Lsvfrz
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock