This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workin' on it

I spent more time over the last couple of days working on the '64 Daytona hardtop I brought back from California. Every time I start it, it starts a little easier and runs smoother. I think the rubber seals in the carb and fuel pump have gotten limbered up once more.

I discovered laquer thinner would remove the ugly black rattle can paint that had been splashed on the firewall and inner fenders, so I managed to wash off nearly all of it. Looks 100% better already. I removed the brake booster and master cylinder, as well as the starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and horn relay, and fan guard plate. Gave them all a good going over with the sandblaster, and shot them with a rattle can of black satin trim paint. That REALLY spiffed up the underhood department.

I'm sure eventually I'll have to pull the engine to detail it, and to enable detailing of the frame rails, etc., but I figured I'd do some of the accessible stuff while I could. The car has a good brake pedal now, and stops, but the right front brake is not working. I'll have to have a look at that one. I did get plenty of fluid when I bled it, so I don't think it's a hose problem. Could just be adjustment is way out...

While I had the sandblaster out, I did some more brake parts I had kicking around, and a manifold pair off a 226 Commander engine. That sure looks nice, with all the rust off it.

Next chore on the '64 is to shoot the interior floor and trunk floor with the sandblaster, and then repair the minor rustout spots (about a couple of business card's worth). I did get a pair of really nice '66 doors to replace the caved-in original doors.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Good progress, Gordo! I've finally found a few hours (days?) to press forth on the wagon. I'm dyin' to get the doors back on it so's I can drive it.[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Having a Western car with with minimal rust is nice, isn't it? I keep a 5-gallon can of lacquer thinner around at all times, just for those type of cleanup projects.

Comment

That front brake problem may be the wheel cylinder frozen up. I had that problem on my 52 Buick when I first got it.

1961 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jcarmichael

That front brake problem may be the wheel cylinder frozen up. I had that problem on my 52 Buick when I first got it.

1961 Lark
          Well, it MIGHT be, but I did run a hone through the cylinder, and re-assemble it with brake assembly fluid, so I doubt it could have become frozen again in a matter of days.

I'm out at work again now, so it'll have to wait until I'm back home.

Comment

Working...
          X