Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that the SDC Forums now have 1001 members that have posted at least one time. It is coincidental that I made my 1001 post on the same day as we reached 1001 members posting. There are more members, but some only lurk. I am now considered a "Commander Member." That's nice as it matches one of my current cars. Nate/N8N and John/JDP have more posts than I have and of course, Bob/Mr.Biggs has more posts than most of us combined. I thank him for his time, knowledge and willingness to share.

Gary L.
    1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
    1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

Congratulations on your 1000th. I like to thank them(and you), too!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary
      Bob/Mr.Biggs has more posts than most of us combined. I thank him for his time, knowledge and willingness to share.
      I'll second that! Bob probably more than any single person set the culture and tone for this forum and made it the "go to" place for everything Studebaker. Not to mention the hundreds of folks he helped with specific problems along the way.

Thanks, Bob [^]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[?] What determines your "name" as to posts? Dick Steinkamp has 640 posts and is a Golden Hawk member, whereas you guys with over 1,000 posts are "only" Commander members!? What determines the number of stars and Studebaker model assigned to a given Forum poster? Just curious... BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I gave some thought to this thread as I was working on my 58 wagon yesterday.
            I appreciate the kind remarks and I DO get a boot outta fielding questions as they come up here. Like any human being, I have opinions outside the realm of Studebakers (as well as within it[}])but I try to keep them out of this forum. There's other sounding boards on the internet to voice them and I assure you I do.[}] Nuff said about that.
            This forum affords SOME latitude of opinion - as far as our perception of Studebaker design and engineering go. Both as practiced by the company and the owners - all these years after the last Studebaker was constructed.
            That I've posted here more than anyone else is (to a degree) partly because I started on this forum early after Bob Shaw set it up. I like the way that Bob runs it. I'd wondered, early on, if Bob would have the cahones to step in when his moderatorly intervention would warrant such. It took awhile for the right moment to present itself and when it did, Bob did his job. Not only have I seen the ugly of unrestricted mayhem on a forum, I was in no small part a player at times.
            My embracement of the computer age in '94 was inspired by my taking on the editorship of a chapter newsletter PLUS... having heard that some Stude nuts were communicating and sharing ideas via the fairly new "internet". Even tho we'd started a local chapter in this area, it was readily appearant that no one in that chapter (besides myself) was as raving a Stude nut as myself. I figured if Stude sorts were finding their way to a common ground on this internet thing, I might find like fanatasism amongst their kind[]
            At first, there were "bulletin boards" on AOL for different interests. That's where I found the first gathering of Stude nuts on the net. Posts were sporadic and were as much in the nature of classified ads as anything. But a few of us started sharing our interests and knowledge on the boards.
            Then a fella named Jim Brady started a Studebaker forum on the Usenet. alt.autos.studebaker started to take off. I was frustrated at first because my ISP wouldn't carry that particular newsgroup and it took my jumping to several differnt ISPs before I was able to take part in alt.autos.studebaker. What a treat tho, when I finally could be a part of the daily discussions of this new community.
            At first it was all rosy on that forum - until some of the attendees got familiar with one another. I'm sure the first blowup on that forum was over the stock vs. modified issues that persist to this day amongst Studebaker folks.
            People would quit because of namecalling - oftimes for good - and the victorius would feel further emboldened when the next "misfit" stuck his head up. If you had "thin skin", the newsgroup wasn't for you. It's still that way today.
            Of course, along the way there were suggestions that maybe a moderated forum would be better. Such a suggesstion was usually quick to succumb to a brutal drubbing. When the suggestion persisted, it was staunchly predicted to meet with failure by those who were opposed to it. Looking back at those predictions, it's amusing to note how many of those who swore they'd NEVER set foot on a moderated forum are hanging out on this one of late[)] Will wonders never cease! Heck, maybe some day ol' Biggs'll put a 350 in a Studebaker! This, since it's obvious that the most ardent resolutions can melt under the heat of temptation.[:0] (At least for now tho - don't hold yer breath on that possibility! I'd hate to have your demise on my conscience[V])
            So, here we are, on a (gasp!) moderated [:0] forum - sharing the highs and lows of our common mania under the watchful eye of a referee. I honestly don't see a downside to it. If you wanna find out what my political, religious (or other) biases are, E-mail me. I'll give some insights.
            For investment advice, might I offer that you take the bet that there'll continue to be blow-ups over stock vs. modified. It's inevitable. It's gonna happen again and again as long as there's 2 or 3 guys
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
              Then a fella named Jim Brady started a Studebaker forum on the Usenet. alt.autos.studebaker started to take off. ...... At first it was all rosy on that forum - until some of the attendees got familiar with one another.
              Yah .. I remember getting burned on that newsgroup, some things never
              change. I actually ended up "leaving" Studebakers shortly after that
              experience. Partly due to a failed attempt at restarting the local
              chapter of the Studebaker Club a few years prior, and then the loss of
              my '60 Hawk. I found out in trying to restart the club, that there is
              much more hatred in the club then there is friendship. Most of the
              people I contacted didnt want to rejoin if so and so was coming back.
              Everyone had some one that they hated. I finally decided to have a
              picnic, and only 3 cars showed up, mine being one of them.[V]

Then I get connected online, thinking that perhaps its the area of the
              country that I live in, thats the problem. Nope, same crap. I posted
              about my mod of the Stude disc brakes, my Hawk reverse open hood, the
              shock mod, Honda alt, and other things. Nit pickers would always find
              something to complain about, it got old really quick. Then I went on
              to Chevrolet after that, a group that I avoided throughout high school
              and felt were all a-holes. I bought a 93 Camaro Z28 to replace my 60
              Hawk, and then discovered the Camaro.Firebird group. What a nice and
              helpful bunch. After years of driving that car, I bought a 95 Impala
              SS, and joined up over at NAISSO. There was a few speedbumps, but it
              was a pleasent experience overall. I now have 5199 posts, majority of
              which are tech posts, problem solving and such. I went from a Stude
              to an OBDI computer contolled FI engine. I have written tech articles
              on the forum for installing VERY difficult seals, and even designed a
              tool out of a dry erase marker housing. That particular post has been
              made a "sticky" for all to use. There are posts also "off topic", it
              has been nice to discuss political issues, opinions, and ideas. The
              age group on that forum is 16 to 60's, and they are able to tackle an
              issue pretty well. Sure sometimes things get heated, but the majority
              are pretty level headed and dont attack someone over their opinion.[xx(]

Feeling bad about the neglect, last October I went out and bought a
              set of rims/tires for my Avanti, in an attempt to get "interested" in
              getting back into the project. I felt that either work on it or sell
              it. The results were amazing, finally I WANTED to work on it again. I
              then designed a bracket that adapted 94-04 Mustang disc brakes to all
              '50+ Stude spindles. Excited about my project, I started to post on
              the Avanti site, & then resigned up here, & on the Stude Racing site.
              I made the mistake of sharing my thought process, and information that
              lead up to making my own brake setup - here come the flames again. I
              am realizing that the SDC community doesnt like change at all. They
              also are tight knit and do NOT like opinions. This will be difficult
              for me, since I have opinions and got used to expressing them on the
              Impala site. I have been better received on the Stude Racing forum,
              but there are the tight knit lurkers there too. The Avanti site has
              been rewarding for the most part, and I have got reconnected with a
              friend I lost contact with - so thats been nice. Also, through the
              Avanti forum, I was able to do another article for the Club magazine.
              I did one over 5 years ago about swaping on a GM one wire to an R1.
              This time it was my brake setup, part one in issue 133, part two in
              issue 134 and issue 135 to cover the final upgrade to the massive 13"
              Cobra brakes with two piston calipers and all the modern goodies. I
              got to work on the project with my dad while he was visiting over the
              Christmas season, and best of all
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Personally, I feel privileged to be on the forum as there are only 3 Aussies including me onlist (that I know of).

Congratulations to all who have made the list what it is, I know there are many different opinions, alas, including some who feel that only their opinion is correct, too bad if someone else feels differently.

There was a post recently about the fellow who modified his Hawk in a rather extreme way. Personally, I like originality allowing for safety modifications such as Disk-Brake Conversions/ Dual-Braking systems/ Seatbelts etc, and his car wasn't to my taste, however as a Hot-Rod it was an excellent project.

The main issue (IMHO) should be the preservation of "ALL" the different variations that Studebaker and Studebaker-Packard manufactured, not forgetting rarities like a Lark with an R4 engine (if I recall correctly - that has been saved by a collector).

This having been done, there should be no great concern about those who wish to modify/Hot-Rod their vehicles as there are plenty (?!!!)of "ordinary" Studes left.

As for Tom (sbca96) please hang around, we value your comments and you have made some great contributions to the safety and enjoyment of our cars (if i ever get mine LOL) such as your Disk-Brake Setup and numerous articles.

Those who complain the most likely don't make such contributions, and, as a wise person once observed (Empty Vessels Make The Most Noise).

As for my car, I haven't heard from them for a while which is just as well as I spent the cash on Stude items on ebay. It'll turn up when the time is right, Marty will want to go through it first I imagine.

Regards to a great bunch of online friends.

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Tom,
                  Pls remember the old adage "those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind".
                  Taste is a rather personal matter. Those who "flame" you are perhaps guilty of attempting to impose their own flavour on you. Don't worry about it, for each one of those, there will be ten others that appreciate your thoughts.
                  /H

Comment

Tom,
                    I'm a fairly new member here and my 61 Lark is my first taste of Studebaker but I have enjoyed reading your technical articals. I am 62 years old so I won't be putting disc brakes on my Lark but I now have the knowledge to point others in the right direction that wish to do so. I might however re-machine my intake to take a 4 barrel and add some dual exhaust pipes.

If you like Studebakers you probably aren't too concerned with what others think anyway as they are less popular than many other makes. I find it amazing to see how advanced they were for their time and yet when I was growing up we paid them little attention as we all wanted 409 Chevys or 406 Fords but settled for full race flatheads or 283 chevys bored to 301 with a Duntov 30 30 even if we didn't know what that meant.

Don't ever let the opinions of others influence your decisions. Do what you feel is right for you and enjoy others for the good things they do and ignore the bad parts.

1961 Lark

Comment

Forums can be interesting.
                      To some, it is a tech page.
                      To some it is a blog.
                      To some it is a podium.
                      I liken it to a corner bar.
                      You can go and chew the fat with the group.
                      There may be several conversations going on at once.
                      Being able to choose to contribute (talk) or lurk (listen) is totally up to you.
                      Quantity doesn't necessarily equate with quality.
                      Some conversations are funny, some scary.
                      Our bartender (Bob) is a tolerant guy.
                      He won't get the blackjack out unless he has to[B)]...
                      People that come in to pick fights will usually find them.
                      People that come in to brag... Well, they brag.
                      Some people won't listen, no matter what. Their loss.
                      People that learn useful things go home smarter, and wiser.
                      Some people can disagree here (and other places) and still be civil and get along.... Some can't. Their loss.
                      The SDC is like that. Some are set in their ways and can't or won't change.
                      That's ok.. That's their choice.
                      This is a club... Not a mandated association.
                      You can choose, which is neat.
                      You can stay... You can go... You can interact.. You can watch and listen. All that is nice.
                      Everyone in this club has a passion that is hard to explain.
                      Studebaker...
                      Has a nice ring to it[].
                      Jeff[8D]
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Congratulations to Studegary, Mr. Biggs and all others who contribute often. I still don't know what all the member levels stand for,is it posted somewhere?

SBCA96, keep the ideas coming. I may never have the engineering skill to attempt something as ambitious as your projects, but I still enjoy reading and seeing them. I confess that I frequently visit to just listen and learn, and don't always have anything to contribute. Maybe I'll live long enough to make the higher contribution levels.

Avantilover, The pictures were great. I hope you get your much anticipated Stude soon.

Regards,
                        Bob (stude53)

Comment

I suspect Mr. Shaw established titles for the various levels of post when the forum was initiated. We can only guess at the title when one reaches 5000 posts--or give Bob a few more days.

Jeff,
                          Absolutely right. I like the neighborhood bar analogy. If it sounds like I'm full of crap it may just be I've had too much to drink. Catch me on a better night. This is where we keep coming back because this is the company we enjoy.

Thanks to all who make this place my "Cheers"
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

So do we change Studebobs name to (Norm) cause hes always here ,Or would it Qualify him as (Cliff) cause he knows every thing.Sorry Bob had to take a shot.

Comment

When the forum was established the software allowed for 6 identifiers for posting levels. The arbitrary administrator that I am, I simply chose 6 Studebaker names that I liked a lot and assigned them to the levels as follows:

0-50 posts: Champion
                              51-100 posts: Starlight
                              101- 250 posts: Cruiser
                              251-500 posts: Regal (okay, it's a trim level not a model, Sue me.)
                              501-1000 posts: Golden Hawk
                              1000+ posts: Commander

The listing is NOT meant to suggest a "pecking order" for any of the Studebakers listed as they are all equal in God's (and this moderator's) eyes.

ALSO, let me add my thanks to ALL forum members for your overall great conduct and expressions of respect for each other's views and this hobby.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                              sigpic
                              Bob Shaw
                              Rush City, Minnesota
                              1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                              "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Working...
                              X