PDA

View Full Version : Tell-tale lights

Scott
05-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Can anyone tell me if Studebakers from the 1960's had tell-tale lights in the dash that were always practically useless in the daylight? I know my bulb is good in the dash (1966 Cruisr), and I know it's blinking when I turn on the turn signals, but in the daytime the little green window might as well be opaque paint. I've noticed the same thing on the 1962 Hawk I have. In that case I think it's partly because the green lenses have become more opaque over time. The Cruiser's dash just uses a thin piece of green pastic, doesn't it? It doesn't appear to have become any more opaque than it was when new, but maybe it has.

Can I use a bighter bulb? Can someone suggest anything? If I were really handy I bet a nice bright white LED would work great, but I'd have to figure out the mounting and circuitry to make it work.

Rosstude
05-04-2006, 01:25 PM
The 66 we use to own had the same problem, the green lens has turned kind of fibrous and did not show up too well on bright days. I installed a louder flasher unit. I got mine at Pep Boys. JC Whitney has quite a selection, even some that play Elvis. I suppose one could dissemble the gauge cluster, and replace the lens. I dissembled the unit on our 66 one time to replace the fuel gauge, and can attest that it is not an easy task:( You might try replacing the bulb with the correct number, it may have been replaced with the wrong one, and sometimes the output of old bulbs is less than that of a new one. Make sure the connections are good and clean, and if I recall there are 5/16 nuts on studs holding that unit to the dash, make sure they are tight providing a good ground.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

hank63
05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
If all else fails, you might want to fit an aftermarket LED light behind the original lens. I did that to one of my "oldies". It worked a treat and the little light came complete with lens, bezel and lamp holder. I bought in a "Radioshack"-type shop, and paid about $1.40 for 2 such lights. They were 12volt, so I didn't have to add a resistor.
If anything, the light is a touch bright, but it is definitely visible on a sunny day.
/ H

Scott
05-05-2006, 01:26 PM
That's a neat idea, Hank. Of course you know as soon as I try to buy one from Radio Shack I'll find out they stopped selling them the year before. Never fails.

hank63
05-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Shouldn't be any need to worry. LED lights will replace most "normal" globes in most shops, as times go by. I expect it will be the same as with VHS videos and DVD's.
Sooner or later we will be forced to convert (or pay high prices for the "old" bulbs). And the lower power consumption of LED lights won't hurt anything.
/H

chocolate turkey
05-06-2006, 09:52 AM
I just replaced the turn indicators in my 63 GT Hawk with LED's. I used an orange colored pair that I have had for many years. They work great anytime!
I have many left over from my days as a builder of retail audio product displays and would be happy to send a set out to you. Free.

Brian
briankcurtis@yahoo.com

Brian K. Curtis

Scott
05-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks Brian. Won't orange ones look a little strange behind green lenses?

N8N
05-07-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think LED's will work on a Lark wit hthe single light for the directionals, but there is a brighter bulb that will fit in there, 1885 I want to say?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

hank63
05-07-2006, 12:25 PM
The LED will work fine when there's only one tell-tale light. In fact, if an ordinary bulb works, an LED will also work.
If you fit LED's front and back, you may find you need another indicator relay. 4 LED's won't have the "load" (watts) required to make your std indicator relay "blink".
For tell-tale lights, there shouldn't be any problems.
/H

Scott
05-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Actually, maybe using the LEDs is not the best way to go. Look at this site (they sell such things): http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

They say that LEDs are NOT as bright as the incandescent lights. That sort of defeats the purpose for me, then.

hank63
05-08-2006, 10:17 AM
LED's come in different strengths also. Some are so bright it hurts to look directly at 'em. I've used medium brightness ones. Like I said, a bit bright at night, but certainly very visible in daylight and sunshine.
/H

Scott
05-08-2006, 10:30 AM
That's true, This site is talking about the ones they sell as direct replacements for the bulbs. They are LEDs in bases. I wonder if they have an integrated resistor. I didn't see any note to that effect. On the other hand I'm not sure if it's necessary in this application.

N8N
05-08-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't think a single LED will work on a Lark because the single light is not fed from the "pilot" terminal on the flasher, they use a 2-terminal flasher and light the light by connecting one front light to the base terminal of the bulb and the other to the shell, so if one side lights the LED the other side will be the wrong polarity.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Scott
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Hmm, maybe, but I would have thought the flasher would always be the same polarity no matter if you're turning left or right.

You think the 1885 lamp is a bit brighter?

N8N
05-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I was just going from memory, and not surprisingly my memory was wrong. I was actually thinking of an 1895... see here...

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/signal_bulbs/signal_bulbs.html

looks like although that bulb is different it's not really any brighter, it's a 1816 or a 3893/T4W that you might want to try.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

Scott
05-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks N8N for the tip.:)

hank63
05-09-2006, 02:22 AM
I thought the difference between single or LH & RH indicator lights, is where the feed (to tell-tale light) is taken, ie before or after indicator switch. At least, that's what I've found on brand X cars.

LED's come in different voltages. A resistor is required when the LED voltage is lower than your car's supply. Alternatively, one would have to use a rectifier to supply the LED's with their voltage. But that's a bit of a complication and probably an overkill. It's easier to buy the 12 volt variety.

/H