This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a short brake line replaced

We were trying to take off the stoplight switch from the Master Cylinder and bumped the short brake line (the bottom one in the following pictures) next to it. It's now got a crack and sprays when you pump the brakes.

Do you think my local NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone might have something to match that line with, if I were to take it in? (I don't mention Advance just because they always ask me who made Studebakers!)

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Not a stock item per se. Any mechanic with a tube cutter, tube bender and a double flaring tool can make the line you need. Now may be a good time to replace all the brake lines.

Pre-made lines with flares and fittings in various lengths are available at FLAPS. They will still need bent without kinking.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I replaced all the brake lines on my '54 with lines from my local Bumper to bumper for less than $33. You can see the flairing tool you need on the website http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Bu...ebakerRebuild/
      The tubing bender and flairing tool would be at your local Harbor Freight. Not hard to do at all.. Good Luck...

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr

Comment

You're not gonna find short lines like that. They've got to be fabricated from stock.
        That one line that we see in the photos (the one that obviously runs forward)looks like it's already been repaired once since the car was new. Stude would not have used an in-line coupler as is shown in that pic. Probably someone twisted off the end of that line years ago and whoever did the fix found it easier to replace just the end of the line than to replace the whole thing.
        ALL brake line flares have to be DOUBLE flares - period.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

As Bob/MrBiggs said, it looks like someone replaced the front line. They did it the quick and easy way, by leaving the short section by the master cylinder where you now have a leak in what is probably an original 55 year old section. You should be thinking about replacing all of your brake lines and also repairing or replacing some of your wiring.

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

For the short term, I gave one of my "FLAPS" (Is it bad I had to think about it before I realized what that stood for?) a call and they think they can match up something and bend it for me, if I bring in the cracked one.

Also, I've got all new wiring harnesses that I hope to be installing soon. That ought to be fun.[xx(]

Comment

Remember to bench-bleed your master cylinder after you replace the brake lines. A little trick I've picked up is to replace the bleed screw on the master cylinder with either a hex head or an allen head screw. #8-32, if I remember correctly. It is near impossible to get a flat-blade screwdriver, even an offset one, up there to bleed it with after it is installed.

Comment

I now it depens on the dealer but my local napa dealer will take reg stock n cut flare n bend lines for me if i take the original to them.Could be because i did business with them for 30+ years.

Comment

I replaced the short line between the master and hill holder last summer on my Lark. It was a pain to bend at the correct angles but with some cussing it was done and I bought the part at the a local parts store.

I would not sweat it trying to find the shortest piece in the picture. It looks like it was rigged a bit in the first place. I would just replace the whole line that runs along the frame. It may take two pieces and one union but it is less headache (and safer) than monkeying around with that short piece. That line is the most likely one to rust and burst anyway so just change it out as it is cheap insurance. I have had one Lark and one VW Bus burst that same line and luckily both time it was at less than 5 mph.

I also would not mess around with cutting and flaring your own lines when you can buy the ready-made stuff in so many lengths.

quote:Originally posted by Eman

We were trying to take off the stoplight switch from the Master Cylinder and bumped the short brake line (the bottom one in the following pictures) next to it. It's now got a crack and sprays when you pump the brakes.

Do you think my local NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone might have something to match that line with, if I were to take it in? (I don't mention Advance just because they always ask me who made Studebakers!)

Paul Leske
                  '59 Lark VI

Comment

By the way, I used a socket and bent the line around it to get the sharp bends in the short line without kinking it. Dont bend it with your bare hands alone.

Paul Leske
                    '59 Lark VI

Comment

Inline Tube sells a generic kit to replace all your brake lines. It includes tubing nuts and long lengths of tube. It does require a tubing bender and double flaring tool, but everything would be less than $100.00, probably. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than whatever you hit if one of those old rusty lines breaks. It is really not too bad of a job, and could save a lot of money in the long run.

Inlinetube.com or 586-532-1338

jj

Comment

Working...
                      X