This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander motors

Is it possible to replace a 1938 Commander motor with a Commander motor from a 1960 champ pickup? I would transfer all the relative parts to the newer engine. As the pistons, bearings, valves are the same can I assume
    the block is close enough to work?
    Thanks,
    Chuck Collins

I believe the block itself was unchanged from 1932 through 1961.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cstude1

Is it possible to replace a 1938 Commander motor with a Commander motor from a 1960 champ pickup? I would transfer all the relative parts to the newer engine. As the pistons, bearings, valves are the same can I assume
      the block is close enough to work?
      Thanks,
      Chuck Collins
      Chuck, I'm no expert on Commander engines, but I do know that that the rear main oil seal was changed between the 226 and the 245. I don't know if they also changed the rear main cap where the oil pan seats, but they MIGHT have. In which case, if the swap entails swapping oil pans, it might not work readily. If I were in your position, I'd be wanting to ensure that one CAN swap oil pans before getting too far into this.

I suppose if there is a difference in oil pans, that one could move the sump on the later pan to make it fit the '38 chassis. Involves a lot more work, though.

I'm pretty sure Pat McKenna in Edmonton successfully swapped a 245 into a '40 Commander, so chances are your swap is also practical.

Addendum: I ran into Pat McKenna last evening, and asked him about the Commander engine swap. He told me that the oil pan should readily swap between the 245 and 226, should it prove necessary, but that it probably would not be necessary. The old style front mount used on the 226 can be attached to the 245 block OK. And there is no question the 245 swap is practical in Pat's '40. He was driving yesterday, and had put about 200 miles on that day, in his topless '40 Commander sedan cut down into a "parade car." Too cool.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I know 1949 Dump Truck engines fit in to 1937 Coupe Express.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hey gordr, I'd really like to see a pic of that 'parade car'. I drove a 38 Commander sedan a while back and was thinking that it would be a really cool (and not as top heavy as a stocker either) looking car if the roof was cut off, kinda like htose super rare 38 four door convertibles.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
          South Georgia Chapter
          63 Daytona HT (project)
          51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
          52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Hey gordr, I'd really like to see a pic of that 'parade car'. I drove a 38 Commander sedan a while back and was thinking that it would be a really cool (and not as top heavy as a stocker either) looking car if the roof was cut off, kinda like htose super rare 38 four door convertibles.

Matthew Burnette, the 16 year old Stude nut.
            South Georgia Chapter
            63 Daytona HT (project)
            51 Stude dump truck (yes, I won the raffle)
            52 Commander Starliner (basket case)

MANY more Studes in the family and a few parts cars

And here: http://community.webshots.com/user/mbstudepagetwo
            I probably have a pic in my files, Matthew. Finding it is another story

In any case, I'm away from home right now, and don't have ready access to my files. Well, really, all my pictures are in a big cardboard box, except for the ones that aren't

Comment

Working...
            X