This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel adapter

I was wondering if someone makes a steering wheel adapter for a 51 champion. I found some listed for some Hawks. Would they interchange? Thanks

Nope, the spline/diameter of the steering shaft, as well as the dish of the wheel, changed for the '57 model year. The only adapter available that I am aware of is the Grant adapter for the '57-up wheel.

I believe some '57 Champions used leftover stock of the earlier columns/wheels; those are denoted in the parts book as "with three spoke wheel) (the newer steering wheels had two broad spokes)

I was toying with the idea of getting a steering column from a '57 or '58 Hawk so I could use an aftermarket steering wheel, but I haven't been really looking for one. I don't know of any later column that would be a bolt on for your '51 however. Most of the Stude steering boxes had the steering shaft all the way to the wheel as an integral part of the box, the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are the early Saginaw power steering box and the Avanti. that could make swapping an even bigger project, with the risk of getting a bad steering box.

nate

nate

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Check the measurements and spline on your car. I hope it is 13/16" X 36 spline. if it is GM power steering is the same. I used a late model GM unit on my 53 that I bought from a swap meet.

Comment

Hmm, if that is the case I wonder why Grant does not list an adapter for that application... will have to look again! All I know is that the nut is 1-1/4" hex but I've never actually measured the column.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
        X