PDA

View Full Version : stuck valves----what's the fix

bradnree
03-20-2007, 05:05 PM
I had two stuck valves on a '52 V8. One is free and working. The other will turn one half inch and can be driven down not easily then the cam will push it back up and it will not go down on its own. Is the the spring broken or is there still rust in the guide.....Brad

Mike Van Veghten
03-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Don't mess with trying to "fix" that while in the car. It'll most likely cost you more money in a very short amount ot time with premature worn out, chewed up, stems/guides.
Remove the heads and have a shop with the right equipment remove clean (as required) and replace your valves.

It "sounds" like the engine's been together for a while...you might think about having a valve grind done at the same time as the stem / guide work.

Mike

StudeRich
03-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Brad; Mike's answer is spot-on as usual. It sounds to me like you COULD have a bent valve and or pushrod, and it does require that you pull the head to inspect the piston for damage.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

bradnree
03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I forgot to mention that the head is off and everything looks fine except for the sticky valve............Brad

rockne10
03-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Agree with Mike. And, having the head off will make it much easier to take to the machine shop.:D

bradnree
03-20-2007, 10:38 PM
too many cars under construction at one time, as the above valve problem is for a '47 6 cylinder...(forget the '52).............................SORRY............Brad

rockne10
03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Ooooh...L head, valve in block. That's a weightier problem.

bradnree
03-21-2007, 07:27 AM
I have not removed the intake and plate to see what the problem is if any................Brad

PackardV8
03-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Greetings, Brad,

The shadetree fix for a stuck intake valve on a flathead six was to pour diesel fuel or kerosene in the intake manifold until you could see it coming up and out of any open valves. Let the intakes sit in this pool of solvent until it all drains by the guides. (BTW, with most old Stude sixes, it happens pretty quickly.) Then, pour in more solvent and crank over the engine. This usually frees up a stuck intake. Drain the crankcase and refill with fresh oil. Replace the head, but not the spark plugs. Lay a towel over the head, as sometimes, there is still some solvent in the intake and it will get sucked through and blown out the spark plug holes. After a few cranks, replace the spark plugs. When you fire the engine, you will/may get white smoke from the remaining residue in the intake, but it should be no problem.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8

bradnree
03-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Last night I encouraged the stuck valve first with a hammer, then diesel, and oil overnight........It is now going up and down as it should.....thanks for the tips. This morning I made up a batch of "loosener" with diesel and oil which is what most popular brand spray items are made of. I put it in a tall plastic spray bottle to have around for loosening whatever. Diesel worked quicker than kerosene. I also got the diesel tip from a mechanic of 40 years.......Brad

Mike Van Veghten
03-22-2007, 01:54 PM
BE CAREFULL....just because it's moving...doesn't mean it's right!

Are the guides one or two piece?

Well...either way, if you don't remove'em, clean things good, verify no burrs or bent stems...you could hate yourself for spending cents when it make coast you hunderds later.
Flat head...over head, same problems, one just takes a little more time to fix right!

The old "word to the wise"...

Mike