PDA

View Full Version : Installation Placement Photos '63 GT

CKOT
04-25-2006, 10:46 PM
I have 2 parts I have purchased for my '63 GT Hawk.
I can't seem to find photos for the proper placement of these 2 items

1. Inner fender splash guards. Missing when I purchased the vehicle, Purchased replacements from SI, but can't find a photo of exactly how the should be positioned

2. Dual rear antennae. Need to know where abouts on the fender these should be mounted.

Thanks in advance for your help....
Chris

JDP
04-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Dual antennas were not a 63 option. This is the best I can do. (Spash guards not intalled.
http://stude.com/rubber.jpg

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Avanti
54 3R Pickup

CKOT
04-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Thanks, but don't the splash gouards mount from the under side? I can see remanants from that were removed from the PO, but trying to figure out where they line up, etc. I'll have to peek under a car or 2 in a few weeks in South Bend

I know the dual antennae were not '63 options, but think they look pretty cool nonetheless, just trying to figure where they were generaly mounted on other years.

Thanks.
Chris

studegary
04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by CKOT
I know the dual antennae were not '63 options, but think they look pretty cool nonetheless, just trying to figure where they were generaly mounted on other years.

Thanks.
Chris

You can probably get a copy of the factory template for mounting these antennas for a dollar from the SDC template keeper.

Gary L.
1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

N8N
04-26-2006, 05:45 PM
No, they mount on the inside of the inner fenders and hang down over the openings between the inner fenders and the frame. They were originally secured by heavy staples; I'm not sure how to duplicate this exactly. What I've done on the radiator baffle, and would probably work with the fender flaps, is to "clean up" the staple holes with a tiny drill bit, contact cement the rubber in place, carefully poke holes through the rubber from the backside, and then cut my own "staples" from stainless wire and manually set them in place. Sounds like a lot of work, but I don't happen to have a stapler handy that will punch through rubber and automotive sheetmetal :/

If your inner fenders are original, you can probably find the staple holes, although if they've been well repainted finding the exact original location of the rubber may be difficult.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

rockne10
04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
The inner fender splash aprons (part # 304810), as stated, attach with staples to the inner fender and reduce tire splash into the engine compartment.

Classic Enterprises has an inner fender kit to reduce the splash into the extremities of the outer fender. These are non factory steel items; just want to be certain what we're installing.

Accessory instructions and templates are filed by Dave Mottle, 532 East Ella, Corrales, NM 87048 and, if available, are available to SDC members.

blackhawk
04-27-2006, 03:52 AM
Chris,

The splash guards mount on the wheel side of the inner fenders with the staple ends bent over on the engine side. I have an email message ready to go with photos of the splash guards on my '63 Hawk. Reply to the email message that I sent to you so I have your email address and can send another message with the photos attached. I do not have a way to post them to this forum.

Dale

avantilover
04-27-2006, 06:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by blackhawk

Chris,

The splash guards mount on the wheel side of the inner fenders with the staple ends bent over on the engine side. I have an email message ready to go with photos of the splash guards on my '63 Hawk. Reply to the email message that I sent to you so I have your email address and can send another message with the photos attached. I do not have a way to post them to this forum.

Dale

Posting photos to this list is easy (says he with a laugh :D),

Instructions are under the "Your Studebaker Forum" near the top, all you require is a free account at say Flickr like me and away you go.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!

blackhawk
04-27-2006, 11:43 AM
quote:Posting photos to this list is easy (says he with a laugh :D),

Instructions are under the "Your Studebaker Forum" near the top, all you require is a free account at say Flickr like me and away you go.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Okay. I will try to find time today to sign up for a Flickr account and post the photos. I sent them to Chris this morning. Thanks for telling me how to find out how to do this and where to do it. Dale

N8N
04-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Maybe something changed for the later cars, but I don't recall ever seeing a car with the splash guards mounted on the wheel side of the inner fender. I know on my '55 and '56 both had them on the engine compartment side.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

blackhawk
04-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Okay, here are the photos of the splash guards on my '63 Hawk.

Dale

http://www.albumtown.com/data2/c0eab7b86485ab4672f0c8b4d62af19e/64981_p982340.jpeg
0746 - underside of right inner fender (passenger's side) viewed from behind tire. You can see where the heater core is mounted above the splash guard. The heads of the attaching staples are on this side with their ends bent over on the engine side of the inner fender.
http://www.albumtown.com/data2/c0eab7b86485ab4672f0c8b4d62af19e/64981_p982339.jpeg
0749 - underside of left inner fender (driver's side) viewed from behind tire.
http://www.albumtown.com/data2/c0eab7b86485ab4672f0c8b4d62af19e/64981_p982341.jpeg
0750 - engine side of left inner fender. You can see the inside of the splash guard and the bent over ends of the staples (the hydrovac brake unit is removed at the moment).
http://www.albumtown.com/data2/c0eab7b86485ab4672f0c8b4d62af19e/64981_p982338.jpeg
0751 - engine side of right inner fender. The splash guard is on the outside of the engine circulating heater which is visible below the heater core housing (circulating heater has red hose coming up from its top). You also can clearly see the bent over ends of the staples on the inner fender just above the heater hose behind the alternator.

casey
04-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Does anybody know what material you might use to make your own splash guards?

rockne10
04-28-2006, 08:26 PM
They are rubber reinforced with nylon cords, heavier than tire tubes but not as heavy as a tire sidewall. SI has them for $15 each; hardly worth the time to find a material and cut them.

Dan White
04-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Just order them from Studebaker International. They are die cut to the original pattern.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

CKOT
04-29-2006, 02:01 PM
thanks everyone, I think I can get them on correctly now. I could see some partial photos in the shop manual, but these photos really clear eveything up. I purchased mine from SI.

dpson
04-29-2006, 07:30 PM
I was moving some stuff around in the garage this afternoon, getting ready for the So. Bend swap meet this coming weekend, and came across the "Instructions for Installation of Rear Antenna Kit AC-2838 for Sports Models 1953-54-55-56-57". This is for the installation of dual rear antennas on the C-K models. The instructions include the templates for drilling the holes. Interestingly the templates for 1953 thru 1956 are different then for 1957, I assume this is due to the fins. Anyway I'd be more than happy to send you the original so long as you'll send it back, or if you are going to SB I can bring it along.

1960 Lark Convertible
1962 Lark Regal Convertible

rockne10
04-29-2006, 10:32 PM
It would be nice to make a good copy and send it to Dave Mottle, who files these instructions and templates, and makes them available to SDC members.

CKOT
04-30-2006, 02:33 PM
I emailed dpson directly about getting the templates with my contact information
Thanks.
Chris

Frank Starr
05-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Another question re. the fender splash guards. On my 64 Cruiser, they are painted body color on the inside, same as the inner fenders. Is that correct, or should they just be unpainted raw rubber?

blackhawk
05-02-2006, 03:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by Frank Starr

Another question re. the fender splash guards. On my 64 Cruiser, they are painted body color on the inside, same as the inner fenders. Is that correct, or should they just be unpainted raw rubber?
Frank,
I think someone painted the splash guards on your car when they painted the engine compartment. I checked my cars. None of them have painted splash guards.
Dale

'63 Hawk, 2 '64 Cruisers, '63 Wagon, '64 Commander, '65 Daytona, '61 Champ PU