This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting

Hi, My 51 Champion 6 cyclinder is hard to start. Once I have had it running it restarts pretty good. When running it runs smooth. It has new plugs, set right at .025. It acts like a fuel problem, but when I disconect the fuel line to the carburetor, there is fuel pumping right away as soon as the motor is turned over. When I first start it the motor hesitates and wants to kill easy when I press the throttle until it has warmed up a little, then it runs fine. I put a new carburetor kit in last fall and thought I got everything back the way it was supposed to be. Any ideas? Thanks - Roger

quote:Originally posted by Navy1

Hi, My 51 Champion 6 cyclinder is hard to start. Once I have had it running it restarts pretty good. When running it runs smooth. It has new plugs, set right at .025. It acts like a fuel problem, but when I disconect the fuel line to the carburetor, there is fuel pumping right away as soon as the motor is turned over. When I first start it the motor hesitates and wants to kill easy when I press the throttle until it has warmed up a little, then it runs fine. I put a new carburetor kit in last fall and thought I got everything back the way it was supposed to be. Any ideas? Thanks - Roger
    Sounds like the choke isn't working properly. Make sure the linkage is assembled properly, then adjust per the shop manual.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

If you remove the air cleaner, with the engine cold, and look at the choke butterfly it should be closed. If not open the throtle slightly and turn the choke housing cap until the butterfly just closes. I would also check the primer pump while you are in there. Open the throtle and listen for the squirt of gas in the ventura.

Comment

Thanks guys, I took the air cleaner off and adjusted the choke with the engine cold the way you said and it made a big difference. When I first checked it cold the choke was not closed all the way. I also moved the throtle lever while I was checking and was able to hear fuel squirting, so that was o.k. Thanks again. Roger

Comment

Working...
        X