This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding a V-8

Has anyone ever offered a book on rebuilding the Studebaker V-8 engine, tips, tricks, etc.? I'd like to have one other than the shop manual that I already have. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen

I'll pass on few tips. Tap the piston pin screws with a brass hammer when you tighten them. Don't forget to install the flywheel/flex plate bolts before installing the pan. Soften the end two cork pan gaskets overnight in water and tie them in a curve to match the engine with sting. Make sure the oil pan flange and the aluminum timing cover piece is true and start the pan with longer screws at the front and rear.

Install modern valve seals and not the junk Studebaker parts. There's more, but I need to get back to a Avanti.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Avanti
    54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

The main thing to remember is that everything needs to be clean. I mean as close to sterile as possible. All the tools, all the parts, all the gaskets, everything! I always keep the doors and windows closed, with only an exhaust fan going, to keep the dust down. Get the manual and follow it exactly. It isn't difficult, just like a big Briggs & Stratton.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Install modern valve seals and not the junk Studebaker parts.
        JDP - when you get time... what modern seal do you recommend? Dale

I just checked my auto log. The last time I put new valve stem seals in one of my Stude V8s was March, 2002. I used Clevite # 216-1021. They are listed for a 1960-69 Chevy 327 V8. Dale

Comment

quote:Has anyone ever offered a book on rebuilding the Studebaker V-8 engine, tips, tricks, etc.? I'd like to have one other than the shop manual that I already have.
          Darryl - Dick Datson did. He called it "Modifying the Studebaker V8 - the basics". It and some other similar Studebaker publications were available from Total Performance Publications, P.O. Box 9307, Daytona Beach, Florida 32020. He also printed a series called "Studebaker Technical Tips" from 1977 - 1982, which then morphing into several other publications with different names. He put out a lot of very practical information that I found quite helpful. I have no idea where he is now or whether any of this information is available for purchase any longer. Dale

Comment

quote:Originally posted by blackhawk

quote:Has anyone ever offered a book on rebuilding the Studebaker V-8 engine, tips, tricks, etc.? I'd like to have one other than the shop manual that I already have.
            Darryl - Dick Datson did. He called it "Modifying the Studebaker V8 - the basics". It and some other similar Studebaker publications were available from Total Performance Publications, P.O. Box 9307, Daytona Beach, Florida 32020. He also printed a series called "Studebaker Technical Tips" from 1977 - 1982, which then morphing into several other publications with different names. He put out a lot of very practical information that I found quite helpful. I have no idea where he is now or whether any of this information is available for purchase any longer. Dale
            I searched for Dick Datson and it appears he's in Sarasota Florida. Here is the web address for his site http://www.studebakerclubs.com/21stCenturyTurbo/

Hope this is of assistance to everybody.

John Clements

Avantilover your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

There was a really good series of articles in TW over a number of issues. They were written by Chuck Lampman of Georgia. I think they're about the best ever written regarding the late stude engines (he covers the 6s too).
              But some time back, I was gonna condense them into one online volume as a convenience to us all and I heard from Chuck that this was not what he wanted to see happen. He had plans to do just such a book and sell it to raise money for the anticipated museum project.
              The world still waits............

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

On the front seal question, I'm going with a Napa/Chicago Rawhide #19887 with a #99199 Spedi-Sleeve. Thanks,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I recieve Dick Datson's "21st Century Turbo" newsletters and have the recent mailing address of: PO Box 49614, Sarasota, FL. 34230-6614. Dick's advise is good, but sporatic.
                  There is no better advise than building a good clean engine using approved sealing and lubricating products (up-to-date technology is excellent!) and fresh gaskets, not NOS stuff that has been sitting in a warehouse for years. All you need is still readily available.

Brian

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Chuck Lampman just wrote and informed me that the book is finished and should be for sale on E-bay in a few weeks!!!! Its just over 100 pages half of which cover the engine. No price yet. Thanks all,

Darryl C. Lewallen
                    Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Working...
                    X