This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much for a paint job?

Okay, I know this is going to vary a good bit, but how much should I budget for getting a decent paint job and some sandblasting/rust removal? I'm not talking about $10k+ show quality work, just something better than your local Maaco or Earl Scheib. I'm still a good ways away from getting this done, but that's why I'm asking now... I know I'm gonna need some time to save, penny-pinch, freelance, etc. Thanks.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Around here, probably $2-3K and that is if you take the trim off yourself. Might be cheaper if you are not near a big city.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A lot depends on who you know and how much work you are willing to do yourself. If you know a good painter who can use a paint booth on the off hours, you may be able to parlay a pretty good deal. If you can remove the trim and reinstall it yourself, that will save something. If you can do the preliminary sanding and some of the body work and primer, that will save something. If you are going to do some of the priming, talk to the paint man first and agree on the paint he wants to use, and go with his recommendation on the primer to use. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot - offer to pay in green cash money, no checks or credit cards. You may get a better price.

Comment

N8 and I have been paying $2500 or so if we remove and reinstall the trim. Add about $1000 to strip the old paint, and figure more like 4-5K, if you need body work.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
        64 R2 4 speed Challenger
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        63 Avanti
        54 3R Pickup

JDP Maryland

Comment

I spend a good bit of time at a friend's body shop and often answer the phone. When people first ask "How much would it cost to..." I've gotten very good at responding "Without seeing the car I would guess between one and thirty-thousand, but a free estimate is available if you would like to come by the shop."

Many shops today don't want to fix cars with rust, they want to unbolt the wrinkled stuff, paint and rebolt the new stuff. That's where the money is and they are in business for the bottom line.

You need to talk to members of your local SDC Chapter to find the shops that are willing to make quality, long lasting repairs to your rust concerns. Those are the shops that enjoy their profession and take pride in their ability to bring back something special and, in general, it will not be cheap.

Other factors: are you changing the color? This will entail painting inside door jams, under hood, cowl, firewall. Is it two-tone? This requires masking and painting twice. What color? Shades of red paint are more expensive than black, blue or green.

So, without seeing or knowing anything but what you've asked, I would guess between 1500 and 4000.

Talk to local SDC members, visit the shops they recommend, discuss your wishes with the owners. They may even permit or encourage sweat equity. You indicate the time is available to do this research.

No matter which shop you go to, there's no time like the present to start pinching those pennies.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

$3000.00 medium to high end paint shop 3 years ago.
            From tu tone to single 1953 original color.

Thats my nickle......

Glen Brose
            53 Champion 2 dr Sedan

Comment

Thanks everyone. I know it was kind of an open-ended question, but that gives me a ballpark to shoot for. Good thing is, I'm not changing the color from the Rio Green, it's not two-tone, and there aren't really any dents or body work other than the rough (rusty) areas on the bottom of my doors and a few rusty spots elswhere.

And I just sent in my local chapter application today, so hopefully when I start meeting with those guys, they can point me in the right direction of a reputable, local shop.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

I recently had my wifes 1986 Camaro IROC painted at Earl Scheib, they have
                come a long way from the crappy quality paints they used to use, and the poor
                applications. I am not saying that they are show quality, but for a driver, or an
                improvement over a tired paint job, they are damn good. I paid 600 for the total
                job, and that included stripping the paint off a couple panels, and filling a small
                rust hole on the hood. They also removed all the stickers. They use only acrylic
                urethane paint - which is the GOOD stuff. We got the higher end job, which also
                included a clear coat. It has a 6 year warrenty - try getting that on a 7000 dollar
                specialty shop job. Here are some before and after pics :

As I said, its NOT perfect, but its a HUGE improvement from an aged paint job or
                one with a clear coat delamination problem like this IROC had. It looks GREAT
                from 10 feet away and the Earl-Tech was upfront about that. You could work out
                things to get an even better job then this, but I just wanted to make the car easier
                to sell then the eye sore it was.

I actually plan on having the Avanti painted there as well, though I will work with
                them to get an even better result. The only negative was the amount of dirt that
                was on the paint in the front of the car. My guess is that the dirt along the edge
                of the hood seam blew out as they painted the car. I recommend giving the car
                a REALLY good cleaning BEFORE bringing it in. Earl doesnt do a WET cleaning of
                the car, and this car had a LOT of dirt from sitting. They pressure air blew it out,
                but it wasnt enough. Most of the dirt came off during the first waxing, so it wasnt
                a big deal really. Compared to how it looked before - its a show car now! Also
                keep in mind that these are the pics RIGHT after receiving the car, the paint is a
                lot more shiny now. Rubbing out the paint during waxing/polishing fixed that nicely.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I would spend some time reestablishing the black details and spring for the IROC door decals, if you're planning on selling it.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

whacker says: "You'll save if you're willing to remove the trim yourself" And I'd add that doing so just MIGHT save you a bunch of grief. Body shops are NOTORIUS about losing or screwing up the trim off your car! And that's even the high-dollar places. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've sold a piece or even a whole CAR'S worth (one guy was almost CRYING since the body shop put ALL the stainless and pot metal mouldings in a big cardboard box only to have it run over by some doofus gopher when he was taking the car outside to start sanding on it! And it was a convertible no less) of trim to some hapless sort who blindly trusted his Stude or Rambler to some body shop that simply lost track of the stuff!!!
                    And they're usually TOTALLY unaplogetic about such a goof![:0]

As rockne says: most shops will strongly resist working on vintage cars. It's just TOO much trouble for them and when you press them for "how much will it cost?" - you're likely to get the "time & materials." answer. Man, you talk about letting yourself in for a cleaning!

"No body damage." Right! You'll be AMAZED at all the little dents and dings that avail themselves when that first coat of primer and guide coat goes on.[}][V] If it's never been painted since 1951, I'll bet you whatever amount you want that my predictions will prove true.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I would spend some time reestablishing the black details and spring for the IROC door decals, if you're planning on selling it.
                      Already ahead of you....

Ordered the IROC sticker kit, I have almost everything on now, except
                      the creme de la creme - the door stickers. If the rain would stay
                      away for ONE weekend .. I could finish it!!

Not bad for a 600 dollar investment! I have trouble with paying 2000
                      for a nice paint job that some idiot in an SUV will drive up on the
                      front end, or slam their door into the side and ruin it. I would not
                      pay over 1000 for a paint job on a car thats not sealed in a garage
                      with razor wire around the entrances, and which can be protected in a
                      similar manner at car shows. I found one fool running his hand down
                      the side of the Avanti at the last show ... feeling the lines??[xx(][V]

Tom
                      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:If the rain would stayaway for ONE weekend .. I could finish it!!
                        Don't knock that rain, my friend. I know, I know... it is not always convenient... I've had a few of my parades rained on over the years. But, there are times it is certainly better to have it, than not!

We are over a foot of rain below normal over the last calendar year. Yesterday, it was 102 degrees, dry, and windy. In April! In Oklahoma! No real relief in sight. We are worn out from fires, and burn bans. There seems to be no end in sight.

Trade ya... not locations, but weather... even if it means missing some "car time."

Nice project, BTW.

sigpic
                        Dave Lester

Comment

Hey Dave,
                          Come on down and cool off! It was only 100 degrees here in Central Texas yesterday [8D]

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon
                          Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Hey Dave ,I hope your keeping "Sheba" in a cool place.Oh by the way we set a record temp today in Mississippi. 93in the shade.[8D]

Comment

We've had plenty of rain here. I'm tired of having to cut the grass every four days.[xx(] Bring a long hose![:0] Sure glad that global warming BS isn't causing us grief. Imagine how bad THAT would be on top of what the luck of the draw's handing us.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X