PDA

View Full Version : Avanti emerg. brake cable & R3 manifolds

Chris Collins
04-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Greetings to the SDC Forum and the Google Studebaker Newsgroup:

As part of going through the brakes on the Avanti, I need to replace the emergency brake cables. Aside from the usual rust and deterioration from lack of handbrake use, the front cable looks pretty “fried” from resting against the R-3 exhaust manifold. There looks to be only about ¾ inch clearance between the steering box and the manifold where the cable loops around, and we’re thinking of putting a small bracket on one of the large bolts at the steering box, with a “finger” to hold the cable away from the manifold, while not interfering with the rotation of the steering column shaft.

Is this close clearance because of a size difference between the R-3 and regular manifolds? It seems the cable would have to a lot shorter (with a tighter bend where it exits the firewall) or a lot longer to really avoid the hot manifold.

Anyone else run into this or a work-around? I presume it would be difficult to keep the cable lubricated in this area without the lubricant burning off right away. Are the replacement cables offered by the usual Stude vendors all the same? Anyone heard of ones made of stainless?

Thanks as always...

Chris Collins
63 Avanti R-2
66 Cruiser

bige
04-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Your "little finger" idea is just what I did, it's been a few years that way now, no problems at all.

Ernie R2 R5388

R2 R5388

N8N
04-14-2006, 09:08 PM
I believe Classic Tube is making cables in stainless. In fact that reminds me that the front e-brake cable on my '55 is pretty frayed looking, doubt it will pass inspection. Ought to get that fixed but there's so much more important stuff to work on...

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel