This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup bed wood floor

I bought a 58 narrow bed out of Texas for my 62 Champ last fall and now just getting to work on it. Much to my surprise (I'm naive)the floor looked very nice but has lots of bondo covering several holes. I am thinking of 2 options; replacing the floor with CE repo's or going with a wood floor. The Champ is not completly stock so a wood floor is not out of the question. Does anyone have any experience with a wood floor? Where would I find the metal rails that go between the boards? How do you keep it water tight or is that not necessary? If anyone has any suggestions answer here or e-mail me. Thanks

Do a search on LMC truck parts. They have wood flooring and have both steel and stainless steel slide rails. These are for chevy but I am sure they are adaptable. Jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I did a wood floor for my dad's '73 Chevy, only a couple gotchas:

1) use a good hardwood. Going cheap on the wood is not a good idea.

2) when drilling the mounting holes through the bed floor to the frame, the washers were offset to keep them from rotating in their holes while tightening them down. (they were recessed a little in the bed floor, I made the recesses with a hole saw and chisel, but if you have Forstner bits large enough that would be neater)

3) a previous poster is correct, ISTR the bed strips coming without holes drilled in them which annoyed me at the time but is probably a good thing if you want to use them on another application- not sure where they came from but they are available.

Also, it's a good idea to test fit everything and then disassemble again before finishing the wood and also painting the metal...

good luck,

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

For truck bed wood and metal parts, try these two places:
        Mar-K
        MAR-K Spacialized Manufacturing - Home Page. We manufacture and sell top quality parts for you vehicle, specializing in Ford, Chevy and Dodge pickup truck parts.

Bruce Horkey
        custom parts for restoration of pickup trucks including rodding replacement, bed parts, woodbed, and bedwood for ford chevy dodge pickups

Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, MA
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

A couple years ago at a car show a red 56 f**d pickup parked next to me.It had a bed made of tongue n groove red cedar in it .I talk ed to the owner n he did all the wood work .It was really stunning.The side of the bed and the front n tail gate was mirrored plexiglass panels. He said he had 10 coats of clear varnish on the wood .Needless to say he got best of show in the truck class. The rest of the truck was immaculte as well.

Comment

Spend some time looking at restored wood beds. Strips come in stainless or galvanized. Carraige bolts are used for assembly, so hole in strips should be square. Carriage bolts on round holes will not sit flush and larger holes will allow them to turn with the nut.

Look also at how the boards are routed to accept the steel strips. When assembled, the "runners" on the strips should be a fraction above the wood, so solid items ride on the steel, rather than scratching or gouging the wood.

Looking, testing and dry-fitting are recommended.

You don't want it water tight. Moisture retention promotes wood rot no matter how well you seal the wood; and you do want the wood well sealed. Moisture should drain through any and all seams.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

OK, wood R&R is easy... (read the replies)...
              But there are a couple of Stude vendors that make the replacement Stude steel floors. Ever consider that?
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by buckeye

I bought a 58 narrow bed out of Texas for my 62 Champ last fall and now just getting to work on it. Much to my surprise (I'm naive)the floor looked very nice but has lots of bondo covering several holes. I am thinking of 2 options; replacing the floor with CE repo's or going with a wood floor. The Champ is not completly stock so a wood floor is not out of the question. Does anyone have any experience with a wood floor? Where would I find the metal rails that go between the boards? How do you keep it water tight or is that not necessary? If anyone has any suggestions answer here or e-mail me. Thanks
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I have checked out some of the information and there is material and technical advice available to do the wood floor. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X