This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try this photo thing again...

Whoops! Too big That's the Commander Regal; GREAT HIGHWAY CRUISER!!

That's better. Another Commander Regal, I've owned for thirty years; currently undergoing every nut and bolt renewal.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'll take either or both!

Please.

1951 Commander Starlight Coupe (aka "Stella")

Comment

And one more:

I think I finally figured it out. That's my 33 Rockne 10. It's got 56,000 miles on it and the only parts that aren't original are the tires, battery, exhaust and ignition wires.
        Brad Johnson,
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rockne10, they are all impressive cars. What is the story on the 33? How did it manage to be so well-preserved all of those years, without ever being restored? Just Curious.

Comment

Your cars are all beautiful, but the StarLight coupe blows me away.
            That's one good looking car. It's the one model Stude that I've always wanted. Maybe someday.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The Rockne was sold new in Mount Carmel, Pa.; later traded back to the dealer who kept it and drove it occassionally. It was then purchased by Carmen DeFrancesca and titled to Smitty's Body Works in Mount Carmel. Carmen drove it a few times and put it in a garage, where it sat untouched for thirty-one years.

I was making a delivery to Smitty's and asked if he wanted to buy a chance on the Keystone Region raffle car, back about 1985 or so. He said he already had a Studebaker and would I like to see it?

Well...,I didn't expect one that old and, certainly, didn't expect a Rockne with 54,098 on the odometer.[] And, no, it wasn't for sale.[V]

I was making another delivery there in 1990 and asked if he still had it. "Yes, but I need the garage space for a T-Bird I'm restoring and I'm selling it to a friend of mine for $1500."

"How much would it take to sell it to me, instead of your friend?"

$2500 later it was on a rollback headed to State College, Pa.[^]

A half inch of dust, moldy upholstery and dry rotted tires were quickly taken care of. The engine and clutch were both froze. I soaked the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil for several months, put a chain on the axle, put it in gear and gave it a pull with my 1960 Convertible (now gone). There was a tremendous "BANG" and I was sure I had broken something bad, but it looked good and turned free. A new battery, new exhaust and major tune-up was all it needed.

It's sitting in the garage, about ten feet from where I'm typing this message, with 55,691 on odometer. It doesn't smoke and I haven't had it past 65 mph. It looks black in the picture but it's actually midnight blue with black fenders.

Sitting next to it is the 51 Commander Starlight. I bought for $400; but that's another story.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
              X