This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Cruiser rear drums

I started work on the rear end and took off the finned drums that were on the car. Were finned drums standard on disc brake cars? Anyway, all the guts had been taken out and nothing was left but the backing plates. What is the diameter of the rear drums supposed to be on a disc brake car?

53commander HDTP
    53 Champion HDTP
    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
    64 Champ long bed V8
    64 GT

Rear drums should be 11" finned drums with front disc brakes. I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the regular front drums, but ISTR that they had a different part number (don't have a parts book handy at the moment) These brakes are not self energizing like the regular rear brakes, they actually look a lot like earlier truck brakes although I'm sure they probably aren't exactly the same.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks for the info. The parts book does show a different number for disc and non disc cars. I'll cross check the truck brakes # to see if there are any relation out of curosity.

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 GT
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Just another FYI, the rear drum brakes on the disk brake cars are not self adjusting, as they are on the normal drum brake cars. So, if you're sourcing internal parts, there are some you won't have to deal with.

MarkC, 64 Y8
        Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

Yah .. they are supposed to be finned, though I am sure I have seen a
          few smooth replacements used in years past - no doubt front drums from
          a 4 wheel drum car pressed on. The backing plates do not have a the
          little "window" at the bottom to adjust the shoes, they have two nuts
          on shafts that have a cam lobe which pushes the shoe out. I never had
          liked adjusting this style brake (one other reason I went to rear disc).

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
          X