PDA

View Full Version : Dash Removal?

danweb
04-06-2006, 03:57 AM
How hard is it to remove the dash from a 62 Hawk[?] Would like to replace instrument bulbs with new ones as the seem a bit dim.:(

Dan

62 GT Hawk

studebakerkid
04-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Why would anyone remove the dash to replace bulbs? Just do as we all have to. Move the seat all the way back and crawl under the dash on your back with a flashlight and a handful of bulbs and start replacing. After you get the bulbs replaced crack open a couple cold ones.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
54 Champion Wagon

Mike Van Veghten
04-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Hey Studebakerkid, have you seen the Conestoga Registry web site?

http://conestoga.brizbomb.com/

Sign up and send Matt a picture or two to put up on the Registry page. Unfortunatly you can't see the actual registry page right now. He's got it down for rework. He sent me a page to view of what it will look like...it'll be nice.

Mine also is currently a Champion but I'm building a hot rod 299 for it. Change of dash board and a few other things to go with the engine change.

Mike

blackhawk
04-08-2006, 04:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by danweb

How hard is it to remove the dash from a 62 Hawk[?] Would like to replace instrument bulbs with new ones as the seem a bit dim.Ouch! Sometimes you have to have a thick skin to venture onto this forum. You probably thought those screws holding on the overlay behind the gauges were there to allow removal of that part of the dash and didn't look any further. I think my wife's Blazer is built that way. Anyway, re the bulbs. Perhaps someone put in the wrong bulbs in the past; most of the instrument bulbs should be #57. Or, someone liked the red instrument lights optionally available on the '63-64 models and painted the bulbs. Or, maybe it is just dirty in there, either the bulbs themselves or around them. Say, if you find a replacement bulb brighter than the #57, let me know. I wouldn't mind having brighter bulbs in my '63 Hawk.

Dale

ROADRACELARK
04-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Yes, there are brighter bulbs that have a higher candle power than the #57, and are the same physical size. There's also a bulb that has a longer glass globe,aprox. 3/8", that will also fit. These cars used "indirectly lit" guages. The guage itself does not have the round hole to plug the bulb socket into, rather the guages (except speed-o & tach) are mounted in boxes, and the bulb socket plugs into the box. Light gets to the guage dial face through small slots in the case of the guage itself. I hope this helps.
Dan MIller

GTtim
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Dan Miller, I would love to know the numbers of those 'brighter' bulbs.
Instrument lighting wasn't up to the same standards we've come to expect these days and I suspect my night vision isn't getting any better either. At any rate, Hawk gages are rather dimly lit under the best of circumstances.
As for the other Dan's original question, some find it easier to remove the four bolts that hold the seat and take it out to have a more comfortable place to lay.

Tim K.
'64 R2 GT Hawk

ROADRACELARK
04-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Tim,
Check with your FLAPS to see if he has or can order a #1816 bulb. It's 3 candle power, the standard # 57 is 2. As I said, this bulb has a longer globe, (1.19mm vs. the #57 @ 1.09mm in over all bulb length). This info all came from a G.E. master catalog. I hope this helps.
Dan Miller

ROADRACELARK
04-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Tim,
Forgot. Check the operation of the instrument light switch. Those have a tendency to stick from lack of use. Most drivers leave it in the "high", (up) position. Make sure it's ok in both positions. Dim is down.
Dan Miller

casey
04-13-2006, 05:35 PM
You mean the instruments are supposed to light up at night!? Boy, that'll make life easier! I suppose next you're going to tell me that Sudebakers had heaters.