This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM motor transplant

Those who've known me for some time have branded me "purist". Thankfully, most of them did so with tongue firmly planted in cheek.[}]
    It's true that I advocate the retention of Studebaker power - whenever and wherever possible. I contend that the engines are as much a part of the Studebaker legacy as the styling we're all gaga over.
    That said, I DO recognize that transplants take place even tho I may not go along with the rationalization used to dive into such a project. I've been following the cross-gendering of a Stude not far from me and since I appreciate the surgeon's handiwork, I thought you might enjoy seeing some of it. After all, how many times (on this forum alone) have we had some fledgling Stude owner pop in and ask: "How to I put a (fill-in-the-blank) motor in my Studebaker???"

This fella, Keith, came to me about 3 years ago in seeking an answer to how he'd convert the wipers in his 55 coupe, since the car would be running 12 volts when he was done with his cusstomizing.
    Being fresh-faced to the world of Studebakers, he was delighted to find that there were 12 volt wiper motors that would "bolt in" where the old 6-volter was! Fact is, I swapped him straight across for the 6 volt unit he'd brought along to show me.
    This set in motion a truckload of new or rebuilt parts that Keith just gave me as he stripped and refitted his Commander with the underpinnings of the IROC Camaro he'd acquired as a donor vehicle.
    I was overjoyed at the stuff I recieved as a result. And I felt compelled to give Keith whatever few small pieces he's needed along the way to his goal of having a cool Stude. Fact is, he called me this past Sunday to say that he'd decided he didn't need any more of the crates of extra parts he'd gotten when he adopted this 55 out of a weedy field, not far from where he lives.

ANYWAY............. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing how his project is shaping up. This car was being accurately restored by some guy when he fell ill and sold it to some brothers that had different ideas about how to power it. When Keith found it, it's firewall had been CRUDELY hacked away as well as some of the floorboards and it had an old, irrepairable hemi engine just dumped into the engine bay. I can tell you that Keith's brought this thing a LONG way since he first showed it to me. I have no doubt he'll see it thru to one cool cruiser.

[^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Nice job. That will be one sweet ride! [8D]

I like the BFH on the floor of the car. I can relate to that [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I asked Keith if that was gonna be the shifter handle.[:0][}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

IROC wheels? I am confused. GM bolt pattern. So confused.[:0]

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

All Camaro underpinnings.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

wow this post is from who

hey biggs you goin soft on us

i didnt think you would be caught within a hundred feet of a stude with a heartbeat

just kidding with ya

tell your buddy to keep up the good work & i like it alot

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

All Camaro underpinnings
              Interesting ... what year Camaro? The IROC suspension is quite nice,
              but lacks a Rack & Pinion. The first Gen Camaro stuff is way too much
              for what you get, and from what I read not too good for handling. The
              2nd Gen Camaros need a new upper arm.

When a Studebaker is this bad off, then I take exception to leaving it
              Studebaker powered. Sounds like it would be more trouble then its
              worth to bring it back to stock, and the next step would have been a
              parts car ... so this route is certainly better! I hate people that
              part cars out solely for money, with total disregard for how rare they
              are and restorable. Terrible, just leaves less for the rest of us, &
              jacks the prices up on what IS left.[xx(]

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by sbca96

[i]I hate people that
                part cars out solely for money, with total disregard for how rare they
                are and restorable. Terrible, just leaves less for the rest of us, &
                jacks the prices up on what IS left.[xx(]
                ...and provides the parts we need to keep our Studebakers on the road.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                  ...and provides the parts we need to keep our Studebakers on the road.
                  IF the car they are parting out TRUELY isnt repairable, then yes. But
                  I have seen TO MANY good solid cars parted out. Thats so wrong.[xx(]

Tom

Comment

Here's the donor car. I honestly don't know what year it is or how much of it Keith is incorporating into the Commander.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Looks like an IROC, late 80's. I hope that if he is using the trans
                      its an 88 or newer. If not, tell him to just throw that trans out &
                      go buy a 88-92 700 R4.

Tom

Comment

The IROC would probably be a sought-after car someday.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Packebaker

The IROC would probably be a sought-after car someday.
                          They have actually gone up in value recently. We have an 86 that has
                          quite a lot of work done to it, including new paint. I just updated
                          the trans to one from a 91 Camaro. The 86 TH700 had already been
                          rebuilt, but they are so screwed up from the factory, that replacing
                          it is the best way to go. Its my wifes car from years past, and I did
                          not know her back when she had it rebuilt. In 87 1/2 they did some
                          changes to the trans, upgrades that finally made the 700 into a good
                          transmission. The IROC's are amazing good handling cars, and with
                          the current trend in "G-machines" they are an inexpensive way to get
                          to a fast, good handling, strong stopping car. The weak part is the
                          early IROC's had a 305, the 87 and newer received a 350 option. I have
                          seen some LS1's swapped into the IROCs, that makes it handle even
                          better (lighter front), and crazy-fast.

Tom

Comment

Interesting...
                            After watching a '69 Z28 Camaro go for $140,000 on Barrett-Jackson it made me feel differently about the sbc engine in my yellow truck. It was also taken out of a '69 Z-28. (The whole front clip was).

Maybe I should sell off the engine and trans to a Camaro guy and use the money to build a hot Stude 289...
                            Sounds like a plan
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Here's the donor car. I honestly don't know what year it is or how much of it Keith is incorporating into the Commander.
                            DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                            Ocala, FL.
                            '37 Coupe Express
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

[navy][b]Interesting...
                              After watching a '69 Z28 Camaro go for $140,000 on Barrett-Jackson it made me feel differently about the sbc engine in my yellow truck. It was also taken out of a '69 Z-28. (The whole front clip was).
                              That is one sweet engine compartment, Jeff []. Right down to a perfect data plate. Did you make those valve covers?

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X