This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Master Cylinder

Anyone out there installed a Turner Dual MC on a Champ truck ?
    I'm in the middle of doing this and have run into a few problems. 1st of all the machined off set for the mc's plunger isn't putting the plunger center in the bracket hole, this is going to be my biggest problem because this is has to be centered and the only way I see it being corrected is to have it machined and this is some special hardened piece that I'm concerned with having machined Also the brace that goes from the brake , clutch shaft is too long for a truck ( I think this is for a car ) and then there the clutch return spring which they don't address in this kit and it seems the MC bracket is in the way of running the spring at least where it should be .I'll have to make up some kind of a bracket to accomodate it. In the instructions it says to use an eye bolt and attach it to the crossover bracket on the frame....no such cross over bracket on a Champ truck....think they are referring to a car . Anyone make up a bracket for a truck ?
    Hopefully I'll be able to solve all these issues but I'm not really a happy camper with this kit. For the money I shouldn't have most of these issues i don't think.

I am a novice in this stuff, but I have looked over Jim Turner's brake conversion kits before, and asked him several questions. He has always been very helpful, and always answers my questions. I am sure if you called him he would be able to provide you with the answers to your questions.

doctormap
    '48 Champion 4-door

Comment

In the past two years I have installed two of these kits. First one was on a 60l lark 2drsedan. The kit had the same exact problems that your experinceing. The offset pin that is to realign the pedal rod to MC had to be turned down. I don'w recall how much, its in my notes but seem to remember I had .250 turned down. The kit states that its a hardend pin, it is somewhat hardened but nothing like a hardended pin in a tranny or hard like a bearing. I have a friend who turned it in his lathe, turned the speed way low and took shallow cuts.
      Be glad you don't have the crossover bracket like a lark. If you did you'd have clearance problems at the rear of the MC. The instruction tell you this however and instruct you to holesaw a large hole to clear it. The support bracket it too long that goes from the clutch crosshaft to the front of the cylinder, however the instructions also tell you that this is likley and rebend or reuse the original. Not sure what to tell you on the return spring. On the lark I did use a eyebolt and mounted in on the brace to the rear of the MC.

I also installed one of these on a 54 coupe. Much better no mount problems or pin realign problems. You can tell that these kits were designed with the C/K in mind.
      Even with the problems I give these kits a score of 9 out of 10.
      I wouldn't have a problem recommending them and purchasing again.
      Give Turner a call, he asks in the instruction for feedback. I emailed my results to him and never heard back..... I should follow up but will probably procrastinate and never do it.. Well atleast I'm being honest.
      Good Luck
      Russ

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Anyone out there installed a Turner Dual MC on a Champ truck ?
      I'm in the middle of doing this and have run into a few problems. 1st of all the machined off set for the mc's plunger isn't putting the plunger center in the bracket hole, this is going to be my biggest problem because this is has to be centered and the only way I see it being corrected is to have it machined and this is some special hardened piece that I'm concerned with having machined Also the brace that goes from the brake , clutch shaft is too long for a truck ( I think this is for a car ) and then there the clutch return spring which they don't address in this kit and it seems the MC bracket is in the way of running the spring at least where it should be .I'll have to make up some kind of a bracket to accomodate it. In the instructions it says to use an eye bolt and attach it to the crossover bracket on the frame....no such cross over bracket on a Champ truck....think they are referring to a car . Anyone make up a bracket for a truck ?
      Hopefully I'll be able to solve all these issues but I'm not really a happy camper with this kit. For the money I shouldn't have most of these issues i don't think.
      Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
      53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
      57 SH (project)
      60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Well glad to hear someone else has had the same problem . I have turned .250 off that pin and like you say , its not that hard. I'm building a bracket to take the return spring for the second time . that spring has alot of tension on it so the bracket has to be pretty strong. I've emailed Jim and hes responded a couple times not really solving anything but at least he sounds interested. I too think this set up it great and would recommend it but I do hope he takes some of these problems and straightens them out for the next guy .
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
        X