This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-1 engine

I am sure this has been touched on before, but was there an offical H-P number given to the R-1 engine? What was the difference from the standard 289? Did all Avanti's come with at least an R-1.

245 HP, most of the increase from the wilder cam and 10.5-1 compression. It was the standard Avanti emgine.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

I don't recall the HP figure but, yes, all Avantis had an R1 or better. Higher compression in the R1 and a hotter cam - different from the standard 289.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I think there were some other minor differences also...aluminum timing gear, oil pan, breather system, air cleaner, chromed valve covers, valley cover, air cleaner...what else?

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lots of other differances, but very little to do with the HP increase. (You need to build a few Avanti powered clones to find out how many little parts are needed) i.e. left hand frame motor mount on a GT Hawk.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
          64 R2 4 speed Challenger
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          63 Daytona Convert.

JDP Maryland

Comment

Fuel pump is different (bigger) and lines are 3/8" not 5/16" should have a filter with a return fitting on it and a return line back to the fuel tank. Wouldn't be a bad retrofit to any Stude actually. Also dual point distributor and didn't most of the R-engined cars get a 40 amp alternator? Also clutch fan, harmonic balancer, the little oil baffle around the pump, and I'm probably forgetting some more stuff

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N
              .... and I'm probably forgetting some more stuff
              Wasnt there a chingus next to the whatchamajjigger??[]

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N
                Also dual point distributor and didn't most of the R-engined cars get a 40 amp alternator? Also clutch fan, harmonic balancer, the little oil baffle around the pump, and I'm probably forgetting some more stuff
                nate
                Let me guess....a higher price tag?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...