Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessing the forum when traveling - danger!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing the forum when traveling - danger!

I was in England last week and used a computer at the hotel to access the SDC forum. The first time I did it, I logged in so I could tell the fresh posts from the old ones. After checking my email and reading the forum, I was careful to use the Options in Internet Explorer to delete the temporary Internet files, including off-line content, and I cleared the history. I did not clear the cookies - but should have!

The next day, I went back to the hotel computer, went to the SDC Forum site, and found myself automatically logged in. That means that the SDC site leaves a cookie on the computer that remembers your log-in information. I probably did not log out from the SDC forum. It's OK at home, but might be a problem if you travel and use someone elses computer. If you don't clear the Explorer history, at a minimum, the next user of the computer can just use the pull-down history of the last web addresses and go right to the SDC web site. If he clicks on the forum, he is automatically logged in as YOU - and who knows what could get posted under your name.

I have alerted the SDC webmaster to the issue. Unless and until something gets changed, though, you should always be sure to logout from the SDC site and clear the history in Explorer, as a bare minimum when you are using someone else's computer. If you are at your relative's computer, clearing the cookies and deleting the temporary Internet files might cause some annoyance to him as it may clear out his on-line account numbers for his bank, etc., so ask before doing it. Just a caution to all.

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, MA
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.

That's a wise warning, Gary. I believe, though, in the case of this forum, that logging out will remove the cookie, so you won't need to wipe out all the cookies of the person letting you use their computer.

If this forum shows that you are not logged in, it's because it could not find the cookie on your browser's machine. So, logging out is safe enough. Still, I appreciate your tip, because it's better to be safe than sorry.

The thing I am most concerned about for computer users is the way most people will use the same password for many of the sites they visit. There is nothing to prevent an unscrupulous webmaster from reading your password in his site's database (if it is stored unencrypted, and you have no way of knowing whether it is or isn't), and trying that userID and password at various well known sites, like PayPal or Amazon.com, where you have credit card info stored. Someone can mess you up financially, or at least, order a lot of stuff for you that you never intended to buy.

Please start using different passwords at each and every different site with which you are registered, at least when there is financial information stored there, like a credit card transaction.

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Current_Avacar.gif[/img=left] - DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Fellas, when you log on just don't check the box that asks "Save your password?" Problem solved. If you have checked that box in the past, it will remain checked till you change it.[^]

Lotsa Larks!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well, I have never ticked the box "remember your password" and I still have to un-tick it every time I go to this site. I want to enter my password each time, or I forget what it is.
        I'm using Windows XP and suspect there's something in the XP settings that cause the blasted box to be ticked. I'd love to be able to change that, but don't know how.
        /H

Comment

Working...
        X