This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you identify my engine?

Can anyone tell me what the engine is in my 53 studebaker truck? The number is 527644. It is located in the front of the engine to the left of the oil on passenger side and it is stamped. Thanks.

Judging by the number I would guess the motor in question is a six? If so the tech tips section of this site's home page lists this as follows:
    527644 1950 Champion (9G) 170"

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

My truch is a 1953 c cab. I was missing one number so the number on the block in the front is 4527644. If anyone can tell me the ci of this I would be very appreciative.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jeremy C.

My truch is a 1953 c cab. I was missing one number so the number on the block in the front is 4527644. If anyone can tell me the ci of this I would be very appreciative.
        That number doesn't cross to anything listed on the SDC 6 cylinder engine number page...

If it is the original engine, it should begin with a 1R, 2R, 3R, 4R, or 6R

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I could understand it if the '4' was really an 'H', or if the '5' was really an 'R'. Look for the casting number on the distributor side of the engine block. That will help narrow it down a little. A 1953 engine should be 524807 or 523140

Dwain G.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Jeremy, you are looking at a RAISED casting number, with a 4 for shift or machine # in front of it. Serial numbers are never raised, always stamped after casting. That way they can change on each casting made in the die. That sounds like the casting number of a '51-'54 Commander 232 V-8 block. Just give us the STAMPED engine number from the machined pad at the driver's side front corner of the block next to the filler pipe, if it's a V-8 conversion or left side uppper, front on small and large 6's. Hope this helps, Rich.

quote:Originally posted by Jeremy C.

StudeRich
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I totally missed that! Good catch Rich!
              Jeremy, I assumed you have a pickup. Is this a bigger truck?

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
              X