X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Hawk Restoration ?'s

Hello All,
    Recently renewed my membership in the SDC, and am interested in any guidance you can give me. I bought a 62 GT Hawk when I was in high school ('84) and drove it through college and medical school. When I went away to do my residency, I parked it in my grandfather's garage and there it has sat since '94. I moved back to the area (Durham NC) about 5 y ago, but never got around to even looking at the car. Pops recently died, and I decided to see what time had done to the old bird. She needs new paint, but I I can't find any rust on the body. She does have some rust in the floor pan. The interior is in pretty good shape (it could certainly use a good cleaning. I put new oil, gas, spark plugs and a battery in her. The electrics are working fine, the starter turns but the engine isn't turning over. Don't know if this is a stuck starter solenoid or a stuck engine or something in between. I really don't have the time or ability to undertake a mechanical or aesthetic restoration myself. I wonder if any of you have recommendations on a fair and reliable shop that might be able to evaluate and treat (at least the mechanical side). North Carolina (or the Southeast) would be preferable just for convenience sake.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Brian Brigman

Sounds like the bendix isn't kicking out, just pull the starter and hose it down with solvent (carb cleaner, brakleen, something like that.) Since you're going to have to have it out you might as well disassemble it and clean the guts too, your FLAPS if they are any good will have a solvent for cleaning electrical parts. I want to say it's called CRC Electro-Motive but don't quote me on that. A dab of grease in the bushings and you are good to go another 40 years

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:I wonder if any of you have recommendations on a fair and reliable shop that might be able to evaluate and treat (at least the mechanical side). North Carolina (or the Southeast) would be preferable just for convenience sake.
      You are one lucky fellow! Just 80 miles to your west, in Winston-Salem lives a man by the name of Ray Fichthorn. Ray restores Studebakers! His email address is: TarheelWheel@ncsdc.com

Here is an example of his work on, guess what? A '62 GT!:

Ray is well known in Studebaker circles, you are fortunate to be so close to him.

Also, you may want to visit the NC SDC home page at:

Bet they would be proud to make you welcome!

sigpic
      Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
      X