This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk lock operation

I am locked out of my trunk. The knob just spins and with key it seems to lock. What are my options other than a pry bar ?????
    I forgot to mention I have a 55 president 2dr post.

quote:Originally posted by tech100121

I am locked out of my trunk. The knob just spins and with key it seems to lock. What are my options other than a pry bar ?????
    Take the back seat out and crawl/reach in and trip the latch.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I will bet that you will find that the little potmetal "finger" on the back of the lock assy. has snapped. But Dick has the right idea, through the back seat is really the only way in unless your trunk floor is real rusty

If you need to use the car and don't have a replacement piece handy, if you completely remove the lock cylinder and just rig a piece of wire to trip the latch and let the other end of the wire dangle out the lock hole, that will allow you to latch the trunk without locking yourself out. It'll also look pretty ghetto, but it beats having to remove the back seat each time you want to get into the trunk

To keep this from happening again, I would remove the latch from the trunk lid and hose it down real good with some carb cleaner or other solvent, then lube all the moving parts with some fresh grease. The more friction there is in the latch mechanism, the more stress there is on that little pot metal bit...

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
      X