PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Gasket

buckeye
04-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I'm going to replace the oil pan gasket on the 289 in my 63 Hawk. I have done this before but with only so-so success. I have trouble getting the pan gasket for the rear main in. Are there any trade secrets to get it to stay up while putting the pan on? I am using a Fel-Pro gasket set. Is the rear main pan gasket already cut to length or does it have to be trimmed? Any help is appreciated.

BRUCESTUDE
04-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Permatex makes a product called "High Tack"; it's a red gasket cement that comes in a can w/brush. I found this to work good for the front and rear pan gaskets, it holds pretty good while you install the pan.
The rear gasket may need some trimming, but trial fit it a few times first. I've had to trim some, and not others; it may depend on the age/shrinkage of the gasket.

whacker
04-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Soak the front and rear corks overnight in water, then bend them around and put a rubber band around them to hold them for a few days while they take a set. Then they will fit into the curves better. It also helps if you use 4 bolts about 2 1/2 inches long in the four corners as guides. Be sure to straighten the pan mounting flange before you start! I use a block of wood and a light hammer. Check with a straight-edge. Glue the gaskets to the pan flanges and let them dry, then put the pan in place and use the four bolts to suspend the pan below the block. Use the gasket sealer of your choice on the block and the pan gasket. Then start the mounting screws next to the guide screws already in place, and carefully turn them enough to bring the pan close to the block. Remove the guide screws and start the rest of the screws. Tighten finger tight in an alternating pattern. When they are all finger tight, use a small torque wrench, and turn them all to 25 to 30 inch/pounds. Be very careful that you do not overtighten the screws that hold the timing cover filler block.

ROADRACELARK
04-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Look VERY closely at that rear cork gasket and you will see it is very slightly tapered on one side (length wise). It is intended to be a tight fit and although it may appear to be too long, it is that way so it will compress for a tighter seal. I've used a hammer handle to press the cork into the channel on the rear main cap. As we all know, Studes need all the help they can get for oil leaks.
Dan Miller

JBOYLE
04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm about to fix my gaskets (a Studebaker offshoot of "Pimp my Ride?")...a couple of questions.

Are the (presumably old style) gaskets sold by the main Stude vendors any good?
Or do you really need a Fel-Pro or higher-end gasket?

63 Avanti R1 2788
1914 Stutz Bearcat
(George Barris replica)

Washington State

N8N
04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
FWIW apparently AutoZone has the fel-pro gaskets for a Stude. Special order but they have them. I just found this out not that long ago. Of course some of our Evil Vendors also carry them but this is reassuring to know if I ever have to do a repair in a hurry.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

ROADRACELARK
04-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Even the current Felpro gasket sets are made using the same materials and of course the same design. It would take a ton of money to "re-engineer" the pan gasket as a one-piece neoprene unit, like most of the Chev.,Ford, or even the 4.0L Jeep(AMC) engines. Boy wouldn't that be nice...no more cork to soak up oil, get hot and turn to stone in a years time.
Dan Miller

N8N
04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I've suggested that to several vendors and it seems that the typical response is that it would simply be cost prohibitive for the small volume.

I'm going to be doing the same thing myself soon; I guess careful fitting and lots of Permatex is in my future.

BTW for "in the car" replacement I would probably make myself a couple studs to replace some of the bolts; then goo the gasket up in there, install the pan, then after all the other bolts are started remove the studs.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

buckeye
04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm sure they will make it easier than what I was doing. I will tackle this job next week. OBTW when I was under the ole Hawk I was looking around and I found the pinion seal leaking. Just what I needed-another pain in the butt. It is correct to say these Studes never stop leaking.

Mike
04-06-2006, 04:36 AM
Rock Auto Parts has the Felpro gaskets, full set, pan, timing cover, etc. There are pictures of most sets, on site. I think their data base may be the same as used by Autozone, and others.
The two small pieces of cork, on either side of the rear main cap, don't come with any gasket set. They are packaged with the rear main seal.
Mike M.