PDA

View Full Version : 4 lug to 5 lug conversion

kustomtool
04-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know what's involved with converting a 4 lug '50 Champion to 5 lug front hubs and preferably disc brakes?

gotti210
04-04-2006, 12:23 AM
4 to 5 lug

rather simple

find yourself a newer stude of a sort

i think a 57 and up

rob the spindles baking plates and drums and viola 4 lug turned to 5 lug

now you said preferably disc so step it up a notch
find a stude with disc brakes

rob the spindle and all the hardware from there out

what the scenero is here is that from 51 and up stude used the same
spindles
so any thing newer has a bolt pattern of 5 lug on a 4.50" bolt pattern

now i found with some year models you may have to make a shim to get a good fit on the kingpin to spindle (had to do in my case)

but the whole conversion was fairly simple

N8N
04-04-2006, 12:36 AM
56-up are all the same for brakes. Only thing is I think the kingpin and lower knuckle changed at some point in time so you'd want to make sure you didn't mix and match parts otherwise you might end up with some weird caster. Actually '55 brakes would work but the hub, inner bearing, and grease seal are different on the front from all the later cars. Still 11" front and 10" rear drums on all cars.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studebakerkid
04-04-2006, 07:44 AM
Nate are you sure.....I am sure that I have pulled some Champions a part and they had ten inch drums in the front and nine inch drums in the rear.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
54 Champion Wagon

CHAMP
04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
If you just wanted to change to 5 lugs couldn't you just remove old lug studs and drill to 4 and1/2" bolt pattern? Champ[8D]

N8N
04-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Sorry, I was just ASSuming that the OP would be using a V-8 parts car for the conversion, which would be the sensible thing to do if he went with drums. I have to admit that I think brakes are fairly important, so even if I had a six I probably would have put the V-8 brakes on it by now. With the Studebaker discs, obviously you would want the matching 11" rears. I think the self-energizing 10" rears are supposed to work OK with the Turner conversion though.

Not sure if the rears will bolt up to the early rear axle, were they using the Dana 27 or 44 by '50?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

gotti210
04-05-2006, 12:06 AM
drilling is NOT the way to go let me save you the time trouble and headaches

i drilled my old rear drums and because they are a 2 piece hub and brake drum pressing in new studs caused the hub (cause such thin metal) to warp and even cracked one of the drums they were basically unsalvagable (eggshaped)

and keep in mind this was all done in a professional machine shop (im a machinest by trade)

so i highly do not recommend a novice with a drill press and a means of coming up with the proper 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern to tackle this

im not doubting anyones skills its just i been a machinest for 4 yrs and had help from a 20 yr + vetern machinest

studebakerkid
04-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Nate

The six cyllinders brakes should work fine if they a kept up and propperly adjusted. After all we are talking about a Champ just with the four bolt pattern. I had the 54 out last week and some cell phone talking idiot decided to lock em up in front of me so they could make an illeagale left hand turn accross two lanes of traffic. I had enough time to say Oh sh before I dynimited the brakes in the 54 and she locked up the rears but went straight and I had good twenty feet to spare.

If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
61 V8 Tcab
61 Tcab 20R powered
54 Champion Wagon

N8N
04-05-2006, 10:18 AM
My perspective may be a little warped; I live near DC and normal freeway speeds are in the 75 MPH range and people drive stupid here. IMHO you can't have too much brake or tire in this area. I don't feel comfortable without at least the V-8 drums and I would prefer discs (probably going to go down that road someday.) Once I get my car all "shook down" I will probably be looking into a front disc conversion and a dual circuit MC.

In any case the V-8 brakes are demonstrably better than the six brakes even if you feel the six brakes are "adequate" if you had the choice I would recommend the V-8 ones. If nothing else without a pressure booster you will have a lighter pedal with the V-8 stuff.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop

kustomtool
04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the input. I know 51 stuff is more interchangeable with later but 50 is somewhat by itself I'm told. I have had 80 plus cars and have built 3 from the ground up. I'm a plastic injection mold type machinist and have CNC's and several drill presses so I can fab if necessary, but I am new to Studes as far as what will fit what.
I have access to a set of 55 brakes and a complete rear. I just want to find out what will work best on a budget. I was planning to just drive this car mostly stock with a nice set of wheels. I have a 55 State Hdtp that is getting the full on rotisserie job as well as a 53 nose but I would like something to drive without starting a new major project. Someone said that the 55 brakes won't go without a little work?
Thanks a bunch for all your help. Should I bag the 55 stuff and look for later to save myself some time & grief?