This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOSR Water Pumps, Fuel Pumps, Oil Seals, Brake Cyl

Just wondering what effects time has on unused parts like these, just assuming they have had proper storage for several decades. Would it be wise to use them for a car that will be out on the road aways from home, or would it be risky to justify the saving by using 'em?

I wouldn't use a NOS fuel pump; I bought one for my '55 coupe and promptly rebuilt it, the diaphragm had taken a decided set and I've also heard that modern fuels aren't kind to old rubber.

That said, I'd rather rebuild a NOS pump than a nasty old one (although I'll happily do either...)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I'm with Nate on this. As far as "rubber" lip seals, I'd say as long as they felt supple and smooth - they'd be OK. Maybe DEEPNHOCK knows better as he used to sell that stuff for a living.[8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Appreciate the input on this subject. Think I will buy a new repair kit for the fuel pump.

Comment

Have you got some silglide? I would silglide up the oil seals and go down to my local flaps for new kits for the wheel cyllinders. The fuel pump is junk as the old rubber is not compatable with todays fuels so at the least you will have to kit it and to be safe I would replace the seals in the waterpump since they probably dried out years ago.
          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
          61 V8 Tcab
          63 Tcab 20R powered
          55 Commander Wagon
          54 Champion Wagon
          46 Gibson Model A
          50 JD MC
          45 Agricat
          67 Triumph T100
          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment