PDA

View Full Version : Where is the VIN nr om my Wagonaire 1965

floris
03-29-2006, 05:17 PM
I have just bought a Lark Wagonaire 1965, I need to find the Chassis number (also called VIN, Where can I find it?

Please help

rockne10
03-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Should be on a stainless plate spot welded to drivers front door post.

N8N
03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
There is no "chassis number" or "VIN" but there is a "serial number" which is what you need to give the state to register the car. It's on a stainless steel plate on the driver's A-pillar, only visible with the door open. There's also a "body number" which is on a tag under the hood, screwed to the firewall, which tells you more about the body style and trim level of your car but is otherwise not so important.

Some cars had the serial number stamped into the rear crossmember of the frame, but if it's got more than minor surface rust this number will be difficult to find, if your car even has one. But this will be the exact same number as on the serial number plate anyway.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

floris
03-30-2006, 03:17 PM
thanks for your clear information, I have found it

Serial number C-I00425

on the engine C or O SC AB 403 (difficult to read)

numbers on the firewall SL DG RF S-P8

Can somebody confirm that my car is from 1965? where can find a serial nr list per year?

where has it been manufactured?

Please help it is urgent as I need to be at the registration before 1 april, so tomorrow is my last chance [/img]

studegary
03-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Your car was manufactured in Canada.

I do not have serial number lists here. Hopefully, someone else will get that information to you in time. Please realize that this is a forum and not a chat room, so some people only look here once per day, or less.

N8N
03-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I did a quick search and wasn't able to find anything after 1964 online. Hopefully someone will reply and be able to confirm your year. I don't have anything in my library post 1964. However, I can tell you that it was Canadian production and "S-P8" is a high trim level 4-door wagon (there were 2-doors in earlier years, body style "D", I think the last year for that might have been '62?) six cylinder (it is a six, yes?)

Why do you think the car may not be a '65? Canadian production makes sense (as they would have all been Canadian at that point) and if it looks like a '65 and has a Chevy six under the hood it sure sounds like a '65 to me. The fact that the engine number doesn't follow a normal Studebaker sequence makes me think it's likely a McKinnon-built (Chevy) engine.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

monomaniac
03-30-2006, 04:39 PM
Your Wagonaire was produced in Hamilton, Canada and it was built on February 11, 1964. This makes it a 1964 model, not 1965. It is confirmed by your engine number which is a Studebaker serial number for the engine stating that it was made on February 3, 1964.

52hawk
03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Mono- the engine # proves nothing about the CAR. It is a engine # only. Engines can be swapped from car to car.
n8n-serial #'s can be attached to anything,clocks,radios,computers,etc.I think the term 'VIN #' is a bit more accurate,even though maybe more modern,because it stands for 'vehicle indentification number'
floris- you need to send $40.00 to the Studebaker National Museum,and get a production order for your car. This will show how the car came from the factory,and whether you have the original engine in the car or not.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

cwinston
03-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm not certain the museum will be able to help. When I called they were able to confirm that my 51 Champion was built in Canada, but they told me they have no records from the Hamilton factory. I don't know if this was for 51 only or all years. Either way you should call before sending the $ for the production order. They will tell you if they can get the information you need.