Engine serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine serial numbers

I have two Stude V-8s with serial numbers that I can't find in the engine specs table on the main SDC site, or anywhere else- they are VK-316 and VN-313. From the piston tops I think they are both 259s.

Can anybody identify them?

chuckla

VK316 is a 259 built on October 16th 1963 (K=Oct.) and VN313 is a 259 built on Dec.13th 1963 (N=Dec.) Both would have been fitted to '64 model cars.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep. That would be a Wednesday and a Friday.
      Day shift.

Lark Parker aka Trim Trader
      sigpic
      Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

I've been waiting for someone to tell me that M should be the letter code for December, but no one has.
        For whatever reason - maybe to do with "L" being used in earlier engine codes - the letter "L" was skipped over when assigning various month's a letter for the '64 cars.[8] Remember, this system of identifying engine's was new for the 64 model year.
        Of course, that really doesn't wash, given that other letters that WERE included in the "calendar" were also used as engine designators in the past.
        Maybe some "engineer" didn't know what the L he was doing! Maybe it was just a prank since they figured the auto division wouldn't last that long anyway![xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Ok guys,
          I have engine # PJ305. If I remember right I pulled it out of a 63 wagon at a pick apart wrecking yard in the LA area in the 80'S. So does that mean it was made on Jan.05 of 63? I've been drag racing it & daily driving to work and play for 6 years since rebuildt. [8D]

Gordon

Comment

That number says it is a 289 built on September 5th of 1963. It would have started life in a '64 car.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Thanks for info Mr Biggs,
              A memory is a terrible thing to waste.[:I] Maybe the owner of the old wagon had preformed a heart transplant from a younger model.[:0]

Thanks again,
              Gordon

Comment

Trivia only - some manufacturers deliberately skipped the lower case 'l' as it could easily be confused with number 1.
                /H

Comment

How about my Vin# 63V15870 on a 63 GT Hawk ?
                  The 289 V8 has been bored out to 294 with new pistons in 2004.

Thx,
                  Jerry

Comment

That is the SERIAL number of a 1963 USA built 8 cylinder Studebaker, nothing else can be found without the factory production order from the Studebaker National Museum.

quote:Originally posted by geojerry

How about my Vin# 63V15870 on a 63 GT Hawk ?
                    The 289 V8 has been bored out to 294 with new pistons in 2004.Thx,
                    Jerry
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

From Chassis Part Book 1959-1964

Lennart...
                      -63 Avanti R1
                      -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
                      -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
                      -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

I love the page displayed below but am having trouble reading it. My newly aquired 1962 Lark Cruiser runs like a top but needs some body work and paint. I'm an old fashioned gal and my husband has agreed to restore her as a stock car would be (NO hot rodding allowed). I am new to the Studebaker owner scene. I have always adored them from afar. When he found this one for me and running was a plus, we had to get her. I think we have named her Tammy Faye... Any how, I need help with the id and original information on her. Color etc... Any pictures of what her inside should look like. I don't think she has her original seats. And some goof actually put in a NEW stereo. I just have 2 of the 3 numbers I was told she has to identify her. The serial number is very clear on the inside door. 62V-I242I. The number under her hood is 62V-Y8 1846. I have not found an engine # yet though. It got dark before I could get her under the lights in the shop. Can anyone out there please help me out. I have lost contact with my old friend Gene here in California. I'm sure he would know... By the way, has anyone seen Gene?

Sonya Huff

Comment

You can order the original production order from the Studebaker Museum...

Visit the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana, to experience the story of one of the world's foremost automotive makers.

Click on "shop", then on "production orders" under "collectibles".

This will tell you the color and how the car was equipped when built.

Sales brochures for the 1962 model year will help with the pictures you need. Check the classifieds in your Turning Wheels for literature vendors.

There are a lot of Genes in California. Any other clues?

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                          X