This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti-less than 20,000 mi

Anybody on the forum seen the car that Jim Click has that is a 79 model with 19,269 miles? I'm looking around for another Studebaker & his car is now available.

Give me the "pros & cons" of this model/year! And if you have seen the car in person, your opinion.
    Louis

Through the '70s, Avanti suffered from pollution, safety, shag carpet eras. By 1979, things were somewhat better. 1979 was a low production year, even by Avanti standards. It should have a 350 cu.in. engine. What is the serial number? I do not know this person or his Avanti. I will try to stay away from you referring to a 1979 Avanti as "another Studebaker."
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

(reply from Jim Click):

Thanks for the plug! I've had a few Studes & Avantis.....and to be honest, my favorites are early Avanti IIs (66-70 or so).....pros: pre-pollution 300 hp 327s or 350s......quick steering box......the Mercedes "dove-tail" door locks. All these were gone by the mid-70s. Downside of the earlier models are Powershift (good tranny, but now a service problem, lack of safety items like markers, headrests, side impact reinforcements, etc., and the creature comforts that were added as time went by.

The '79 that I now have for sale was a "keeper" all these years because: in family since new......the 78-79-80s have the 350 engine (not the 400/2 barrel of previous years or the 305 that came later).....and it has Turbo-Hydro 400 which is about as blow-proof as you can get and easily serviced....and the Hi-Energy Ignition is maintenance free.

One more thing: I personally think the most objectional change to Avantis was the "cow catcher" front bumper guard: some have cut the absorbers off the frame......my approach: 8 little bolts and the whole thing comes off.......put the ugly pipe and rubber blocks away. You're then left with two lethal looking pointed solid metal bits that were inside the rubber blocks. They chrome-up nicely: bolt back on the mounts and see if anyone wants to back into those!

And, yes, some IIs were built to order with horrendous interior fabrics, colors & carpets. If anybuddy wants to see mine, please email me at gpctc@webtv.net and I'll send pics!

Comment

STUDEGARY;
        JUST GOT THE SERIAL # RQB2880

THANKS
        LOUIS

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gaboy

STUDEGARY;
          JUST GOT THE SERIAL # RQB2880

THANKS
          LOUIS
          That is early in the 1979 model year (started with 2850).

Gary L.
          1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
          1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Back in 1985 in the first issue of Collectable Automobile magazine, there was a major feature on the Avanti.
            In it, they interviewed Stephen Blake (who has just purchased the company from the Altman family) and he said when he took over the firm quality control had gone downhill.

Any truth to that? If so, what years are we talking about?
            And more to the point...what are the best years for a chrome bumper non-Studebaker Avanti?
            Just in case I ever want a daily driver...

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Just to let everyone know that the car was sold and now at a good home in Canada. FYI....it fetched $15,000.00. Again, an original, 19,500 mile car that had never been in the rain......paint showing it's age a bit, air conditioning compressor needed rebuild, but otherwise a super-clean, well optioned car with 99% interior and undercarriage.

STUDEGARY: You posted that it was an early 1979 and that the '79's started with #2850. I had all paperwork for the car including build sheet, window sticker, dealer's wholesale sheet, etc.,etc. This was #2880 and it was finished in late July, 1979......sent to dealer in New York and wasn't sold (to my uncle) until October. According to the factory, it was identical to #2881 which I have never seen mentioned anywhere. My 2880 is - in fact - the lastest listed in the 70's section of the Avanti Registry......since there were 150 or so '79s, they couldn't have started with 2850.

Jim

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gpctc

Just to let everyone know that the car was sold and now at a good home in Canada. FYI....it fetched $15,000.00. Again, an original, 19,500 mile car that had never been in the rain......paint showing it's age a bit, air conditioning compressor needed rebuild, but otherwise a super-clean, well optioned car with 99% interior and undercarriage.

STUDEGARY: You posted that it was an early 1979 and that the '79's started with #2850. I had all paperwork for the car including build sheet, window sticker, dealer's wholesale sheet, etc.,etc. This was #2880 and it was finished in late July, 1979......sent to dealer in New York and wasn't sold (to my uncle) until October. According to the factory, it was identical to #2881 which I have never seen mentioned anywhere. My 2880 is - in fact - the lastest listed in the 70's section of the Avanti Registry......since there were 150 or so '79s, they couldn't have started with 2850.

Jim
                Why couldn't 1979 Avantis start with 2850? I think your falicy is in the number of 1979 Avantis built. I show 1979 Avantis as RQB 2850 through RQB 3022. This is less than half the number that you state. IIRC, Avantis at that time had a year assigned to them that was similar to the calendar year of production, not the common model year that is skewed far in advance of the calendar year.

Gary L.
                1954 Commander Starliner (restomod)
                1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                X