This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digital clock

I would like to convert my nonworking 60 hawk's clock to digital.
    If anyone has done this please tell me what he used and how he did it.
    Please do not offer any other suggestions as my clock is beyond fixing.
    Thank you.
    Paul

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

Thank you.
    Paul
    Well, it's still right twice a day[)]

I don't think you can actually convert the existing clock to digital. I guess you could gut out the case, and install a Brand X digital clock in the old bezel.

I remember I installed a digital clock in my old Datsun pickup. Used one out of a Nissan Z-car. I just cut a suitably-sized hole in one of the blank dash areas, made a little bracket, and mounted it in there. I seem to remember the clock had a green fluorescent display, and it had 4 leads: ground, +12 volts always hot, +12 volts switched, and panel lamp circuit (so it'd dim).

If I were going to do such a conversion to a Hawk clock, I would simply measure the dimensions of the existing case, and then scour the Pick-aPart yards for something appropriately sized.

I was working on a means of installing the movement from a GM quartz analog clock into the Hawk case, but got sidetracked. Should be do-able, though. It would look ALMOST stock. Drop me an e-mail, and I'll have a look in the clock box at home, and give you more details if you want to try that.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pszikszai

Thank you.
      Paul
      I would think that a battery powered quartz analog clock mechanism in your current housing and possibly with the existing hands would give you a much nicer result. This has been done by others, but not by me. It is usually powered by a 9 volt battery that is mounted up behind the dash and changed about every year or so. I would think that a digital clock would look out of place in a 1960 car unless you want it for a specific purpose, like rallying. (I realize that that you didn't want "any other suggestions.")
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I stand corrected.
        Thanks for the replies.
        I would prefer to keep the original look.
        If you know what to use and how to accomplish a quarts conversion
        please let me know.
        Thanks again.
        Paul

Comment

This is in my living room,but-I bought a battery powered clock at a dollar store,took it apart,pulled the hands off with needle nose pliers,and cut a 9" round picture of a Hawk. Glued the Hawk picture on,replaced the hands.
          Most of these clocks have a 'movement' that can be separated from the face-and seem that they would fit inside your factory clock.
          Your biggest problem may be just getting the Hawk clock apart without damage.

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          60Lark
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

There are a number of vendors that offer the quartz conversion in Hemmings. I did this to my '64 Hawk clock and it works great. However, make sure you ask them if they are going to do the conversion or send it out to someone else. Williamsons in AR did mine and left in the receipt for the work that was done by the shop he subed it to in IL (Instrument Services www.clocksandgauges.com). The guy basically doubled the price of what he paid, I don't mind profit but that sucks. BTW Instrument services sells a DIY kit w/ video.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
            X