PDA

View Full Version : Lifter noise, No! Was Distributor slop.

Rosstude
03-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I dusted off the Transtar today to haul off some brush. I was returning home when my phantom tap, tap, tap noise started up again[}:)] I have adjusted these things every way to Sunday, still one made noise, intermittently, and only at certain RPM's. I had pulled the valve springs to replace the seals, and soaked the stems in brake cleaner, and then PB Blaster, no, not a sticky valve:(
So, today I got the stethoscope out (yea, should have done that before) and found the distributor was the source. The rotor had been hitting one side of the terminals in the cap, and metal shavings were scattered inside. Things are not always what they first seem to be, learn something every day. I swapped the Petronics unit over to another older Delco I pulled from the wagon (swapped in a "window" unit) and presto, no more noise:):D Much better, runs better too. Think I will drive it to work next week[8D]My driving this truck drives one of my boss's nuts. Sometimes I get there early to park next to his Lex#s, when are you going to get a new car?, we have an image to uphold!, and so on he goes. I love it.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

studegary
03-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Be sure your engine mounts are in good shape. Something may be causing your distributor cap to cock over.

buddymander
03-28-2006, 11:19 AM
when you say you switched in a "window unit" do you mean there's a studebaker distributor that takes the gm externally adjustable points?

JDP
03-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes, the GN window unit was used on 61 Larks.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
64 R2 4 speed Challenger
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
63 Daytona Convert.

Rosstude
03-28-2006, 01:40 PM
I had replaced the mounts when I first got the truck, that corrected the 1/2 shift hang up.
I was able to identify the slop by clamping the dist in a vice (with wood blocks) and grabbing the top and bottom of the shaft and moving it side to side. I had to rotate the body and check it in several positions before I found the bad spot in the bushing. Tagged it, bagged it, and stored it for later.
The Delco "window" unit has pro's and con's. Pro, some che#y parts fit, as do aftermarket parts. Con, there is a little bumper /bushing under the mechanical advance that limits the travel, which goes missing and can cause some head scratching (been there) I never did find a source for this busing, although I did not look too hard.
And likewise some vacuum advance units had a similar busing, but this is an easy fix using some 1/4" poly tubing. Just my non-expert opinion and observation.
And of course, window or not, subject to wear.
I am a stickler on maintenance, and wonder how lack of lubrication plays into wear patterns on different units.

Ross.
Riverside, Ca.
1957 Provincial X2
1958 Transtar
1961 Cruiser

60Lark
03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
60 Larks also had the Delco-Remey window type distributer

Studebaker Fever
60 Lark
51 Champion
Phil