This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned up the R1 Hawk

I think I posted a couple of weeks ago about finding a '63 R1 Hawk about 4 blocks from my house (Studes are where you find them [8D]). I couldn't pass it up, even though my plate was already full. I finally have been able to dive into it in the last couple of days. You would think an R1 Hawk could be devoid of its factory hot rod parts by now, but this one still has its numbers matching Jet Thrust motor, it's heavy duty water cooled FOM, and the same TT 3.31 axle that is shown on the build sheet. Chromed engine dress up parts are still all there as are the disk brakes (first year for Studebaker), all the "full dash" instruments, and the Studebaker AM radio. The car is far from perfect, but it's nice to see a factory muscle car that hasn't been hacked.

I'm rebuilding the AFB, and a few other mechanical odds and ends. I Took a break from wrenching today to shine it up a little. It helps me stay interested in the project if it actually looks like a neat car []. Here's a few pics of my day's efforts. The pictures make the paint look better than it actually is. Who ever ends up with this car needs to paint it back to its original Champaign Gold anyway...but at least it gives me the incentive to keep pecking away at it.

An interesting story and car. That is a nice package. I predict that it will do better on eBay as red (even with the white top) than if it was gold.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That looks like a great car, care to trade for a nice Lark that already runs great?

1961 Lark

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jcarmichael

That looks like a great car, care to trade for a nice Lark that already runs great?

1961 Lark
        If I was looking for a keeper, we'd be talkin'. All Studes drive great, but I REALLY like a Lark as a daily driver. Light steering, just the right size in and out. Peppy. Good mileage. Good looking.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Looks pretty decent. Let us know when it is up for sale.

53 Commander Hardtop
          64 Champ 1/2 ton
          WA state
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Wow !!!!! boy she cleaned up nice Dick. Looks a lot better without those crappy chrome wheels that was on it before.Still hadnt heard an askin price.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

I think I posted a couple of weeks ago about finding a '63 R1 Hawk about 4 blocks from my house. Who ever ends up with this car needs to paint it back to its original Champaign Gold anyway
              You could break a deal to "MacMyers" with the 'Poop Hawk'. Take the
              'Poop' as a partial trade, and then part the 'Poop' out.

Thats if you got one of those 'incredible deals' that happen.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti, 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by stude freak

Still hadnt heard an askin price.
                Hey, I get to play with them a little while first, don't I ?

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

HEY DICK, ITS NOT FAIR TO PLACE DEMANDS ON POTENTIAL BUYERS,WHO-EVER BUYS IT HAS THE RIGHT TO PAINT IT WHATEVER COLOR THEY WANT, REMEMBER? HA-HA,NICE CAR SLIM

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SLIM

HEY DICK, ITS NOT FAIR TO PLACE DEMANDS ON POTENTIAL BUYERS,WHO-EVER BUYS IT HAS THE RIGHT TO PAINT IT WHATEVER COLOR THEY WANT, REMEMBER? HA-HA,NICE CAR SLIM
                    Touche! You got me, Slim [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,
                      It's a beauty! I really love the color combination. As you said, your plate's full. So is mine. I'd have to do a lot of fancy selling to my wife if I wanted to come home with another antique car. I've got 3 already and no more room for another.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

WOW!!! Is that really the same car? LOOKING GOOOD!!! And to think my Dad passed on this thing just weeks before...

[8D]

StudeDave
                        San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
                        '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
                        '57 Commander 2dr
                        '57 Champion 2dr
                        '58 Packard sedan
                        '65 Cruiser
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver