Is this a factory postcard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a factory postcard?

Saw this supposedly "rare" (aren't they all) postcard of a 1954 Commander Regal Conestoga Wagon and wondered if anyone knew whether this was issued by Studebaker or is one of many "general" i. e. Non factory Studebaker Postcards. Dealer mentioned some numbers on the rear and a description but I didn't know about it. I have a few cards from 1959 onwards that are Factory issue.

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

John: Dealers Supply Company (I assume authorized by Studebaker) issued this card. It is card no. DS-260E, the fifth COLOR card issued for 1954, A, B, C, D, and this E. Dealer Supply also issued 12 B&W cards for 1954 which are much more rare than the color cards. The color cards appear on ebay with greater frequency.

toyman

Comment

John: Dealers Supply Company (I assume authorized by Studebaker) issued this card. It is card no. DS-260E, the fifth COLOR card issued for 1954, A, B, C, D, and this E. Dealer Supply also issued 12 B&W cards for 1954 which are much more rare than the color cards. The color cards appear on ebay with greater frequency.

toyman

Comment

So, does that mean they are effectively "factory Cards" and have value as such, or no real value. I appreciate the information as my cards all have PD-00 on them, and I've seen lots of others on ebay.

John Clements
        Lockleys South Australia
        John Clements

Comment

So, does that mean they are effectively "factory Cards" and have value as such, or no real value. I appreciate the information as my cards all have PD-00 on them, and I've seen lots of others on ebay.

John Clements
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements

Comment

John, I think thes cards were produced by printing companies and organizations like Dearlers Supply as Toyman stated, and sold directly to dealers. I don't think they can be called "factory" cards like the later ones produced by Studebaker's marketing dept.

I have the 54 Conestoga card and it was mailed by a dealer to a perspective customer which is what the intended use was.

I also have a 55 card made by a different manufacturer. A friend of mine has a card with the exact same background but with a 55 Buick on the card instead of a Studebaker.

I think the eBay price for the Conestoga card is about right.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

John, I think thes cards were produced by printing companies and organizations like Dearlers Supply as Toyman stated, and sold directly to dealers. I don't think they can be called "factory" cards like the later ones produced by Studebaker's marketing dept.

I have the 54 Conestoga card and it was mailed by a dealer to a perspective customer which is what the intended use was.

I also have a 55 card made by a different manufacturer. A friend of mine has a card with the exact same background but with a 55 Buick on the card instead of a Studebaker.

I think the eBay price for the Conestoga card is about right.

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Comment

Thanks Leonard, I've bought a heap of 40s and 50s truck ads tonight to add to my collection and will consider this one later. Just for interest what was the first year for factory cards? My earliest card is of a 1959 Green Lark Hardtop that looks like it was taken underneath the Golden Gate Bridge or similar - it's number is PD 9074-C.

John Clements
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements

Comment

Thanks Leonard, I've bought a heap of 40s and 50s truck ads tonight to add to my collection and will consider this one later. Just for interest what was the first year for factory cards? My earliest card is of a 1959 Green Lark Hardtop that looks like it was taken underneath the Golden Gate Bridge or similar - it's number is PD 9074-C.

John Clements
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements

Comment

John: Not sure if you are referring to car/truck cards only, or??? Studebaker issued 'trade cards', the predecessor of post cards in the 1800's. Early 1900's gave us the Jr wagon cards. I have some car cards from the 20's and trucks from the 30's.

toyman

Comment

John: Not sure if you are referring to car/truck cards only, or??? Studebaker issued 'trade cards', the predecessor of post cards in the 1800's. Early 1900's gave us the Jr wagon cards. I have some car cards from the 20's and trucks from the 30's.

toyman

Comment

Well, all I originally knew of were the postcards as described in my earlier messages, and my thought was that I wanted to collect only those items that were authorized or issued by S-P as I felt (wrongly perhaps) that most of the Ebay Studebaker cards were unconnected and things anyone could produce by say, taking a photo of their car and then turning it into a card. If there is something like a reference list of these items i'd be grateful to learn of/obtain it.

John Clements
                        Lockleys South Australia
                        John Clements

Comment

Well, all I originally knew of were the postcards as described in my earlier messages, and my thought was that I wanted to collect only those items that were authorized or issued by S-P as I felt (wrongly perhaps) that most of the Ebay Studebaker cards were unconnected and things anyone could produce by say, taking a photo of their car and then turning it into a card. If there is something like a reference list of these items i'd be grateful to learn of/obtain it.

John Clements
                          Lockleys South Australia
                          John Clements

Comment

John: I have, probably just shy of, 1000 tradecards/postcards related to Studebaker. Our collection contains cards of wagons/buggies, cars, trucks, dealerships, factory, Studebaker buildings, cards issued by both Stude and 'others', street scenes containing a Stude (I have backed off those lately), in short ANYTHING related to Studebaker. I'm sure it didn't start out this way, it just grew as we became more obsessed. You see, this Studebaker collecting thing IS a disease which, if not controlled, can spiral WAY OUT OF CONTROL. We also collect Studebaker toys (over 2400) and have a complete computerized listing of those, but, have never attempted to computerize the trade/post cards. It may be time to consider doing that. Haven't even given thought to format but maybe I'll start thinking about it.

Don't know if you are coming to South Bend in June. We are planning a memorabilia display of just the Avanti toys (over 200) in our collection, and, the 12 loose leaf binders of trade/post cards. One could get lost in those books for hours if interested in those things.

toyman

Comment

John: I have, probably just shy of, 1000 tradecards/postcards related to Studebaker. Our collection contains cards of wagons/buggies, cars, trucks, dealerships, factory, Studebaker buildings, cards issued by both Stude and 'others', street scenes containing a Stude (I have backed off those lately), in short ANYTHING related to Studebaker. I'm sure it didn't start out this way, it just grew as we became more obsessed. You see, this Studebaker collecting thing IS a disease which, if not controlled, can spiral WAY OUT OF CONTROL. We also collect Studebaker toys (over 2400) and have a complete computerized listing of those, but, have never attempted to computerize the trade/post cards. It may be time to consider doing that. Haven't even given thought to format but maybe I'll start thinking about it.

Don't know if you are coming to South Bend in June. We are planning a memorabilia display of just the Avanti toys (over 200) in our collection, and, the 12 loose leaf binders of trade/post cards. One could get lost in those books for hours if interested in those things.

toyman

Comment

Working...
                              X