PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on drip rail trim re-install?

Michidan
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
52 hartop has stainless drip rail trim, which i took off (carefully) before complete repaint.
It can go back on now, and the pieces over the doors are no problem. The front piece however, is a bit of trouble. It's snap fit, but on some very tiny little raised edges. Edges that are now painted and don't want to grab the trim at all. But i don't think its the paint really, this is just a delicate setup. Maybe this was never designed to come off?
I don't see any good way to get this back on the roof. But the thought of attaching it with some small screws is very...primitive. Anyone else run into this problem?

Dan
52 hardtop

Roscomacaw
03-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Ya know, I DON'T have any hints for you, but I will say I dread dealing with that stuff. Enough to where I'll leave it in place if at all possible.
What worries me most is the chance of flicking off chips of paint in the process of snapping it back on. That factory, baked on finish was way more tolerant than the air-dry stuff we have to work with![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

52hawk
03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Is the problem that they are loose and won't stay on? Or too tight and won't go on all the way? If they are loose,you could glue them on with 3M trim adhesive-with masking tape holding them for an hour or so till the glue sets up.
Ditto on what Mr Biggs said- this is the only piece I always avoid removing on any paint job.[or if they are removed,they go back on before paint]
if they are too tight,get some heat on the roof edge,actually to soften the paint,careful!!-warm the mldg,and slip it on-trying to just skim a little paint off where it doesn't show,rather than chipping big chunks off. Also some dish soap may help to lube them .

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Michidan
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I will say too loose. The trim piece fits over the edging on the roof, but doesn't snap at all. Just sort of falls off. I did the old paint removal myself but I was real careful around here not to let the 60 grit disks wipe out the piece on the roof here. Knicked it a couple times is all.
I don't know, this is a one year model and that trim piece is in great shape. But I cannot see trusting just a glue to hold it on. I'll be ticked if I have to put a couple screws in it. But its gotta go back on quality, don't want it flying off later.

Moral of story I guess, don't take this front piece off ever.

Dan
52 hardtop

Roscomacaw
03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Some of today's adhesives are pretty awesome.[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

studegary
03-23-2006, 04:42 PM
I also avoid removing that piece when painting. Perhaps you stretched them out of shape a little bit when you removed them and that is why they do not stay on now. Have you tried to carefully tighten them up a little before re-install?

52hawk
03-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Skinned a door on a '04 Buick last week-no welding,just adhesive.
A few years ago,trying to get emblems off a door of a firebird,heat gun,screw driver,scraper- they came off in tiny pieces.I asked what the guy put them on with- 'jb weld'!!!
Since the mid 90's or so,ALL the trim on cars is held on with adhesives!! not to mention all stationary glass-adhesives.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Michidan
03-31-2006, 01:34 PM
An FYI to add in case anyone searches for this topic later. I got that front trim piece on. I just had to take a fresh look at the problem.
It was hard to tell with the new paint on, but the underside of this edging on the roof was still open. Once I got the bottom of the trim channel up in that slot good enough, I was able to tap the top edge over and it snapped on good. Shaved a bit of paint, but not too bad.
Part of the problem is the roof is V shaped but the trim had sprung back straight. But looks like it going to hold fine.

Dan
52 hardtop

Roscomacaw
03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, that's a good thing. My worry would be that even IF the chipped paint were hidden after the trim snapped over it, I'd have bare metal hiding under there. Bare metal and mositure eventually produce...........[V] Yah - I probably worry too much![:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe
1957 President 2-dr
1955 President State
1951 Champion Biz cpe
1963 Daytona project FS

hank63
04-01-2006, 01:16 AM
A little extra insurance can be achieved cheaply - paint the surfaces (to be hidden) with that real sticky under-body rust protection stuff. It repels moisture and stays sticky for a long time to come. Don't worry about excess dribbles, can be cleaned up with turps or kero.
/H

chocolate turkey
04-01-2006, 10:04 AM
I installed all my trim pieces with 3M adhesive 5 years ago and they are all still in place after all kinds of weather. Don't be afraid to use it!

Brian

Brian K. Curtis