PDA

View Full Version : Gas Shocks & Radial Tires ???

Harv
03-21-2006, 08:21 AM
Gents,

I am converting a "hot rodded" '64 R1 GT Hawk, that I purchased last May in S.B., back to near stock. I'm getting rid of the raised letter tires, mag wheels and air shocks ..... going back to white walls and wheel discs. What's the best choice in gas shocks (front & rear)? Also, what is the max size tire to use. I like the ride of Uniroyal Tiger Paws (low tread wear rating, softer rubber) and was thinking P205s or P215s. I value your input on this.

Regards, Harv (In Mich .... 1st full day of Spring today!) [8D]

StudeBakerHarv

N8N
03-21-2006, 08:30 AM
Most any Studebaker vendor sells the Gabriel "Classic Gas" shocks or you can get them from AutoZone if you have one in your area. They're cheap and they work pretty well. Any other option will cost you significantly more $$$.

The air shocks may be installed due to sagging rear springs, I hate to say it but don't be surprised if you end up having to replace the rear springs. Wouldn't be surprised if the fronts are sagging as well. You might be starting one of these projects that "snowballs" but the results are worth it.

215s are pushing it with the stock 4.5" wide wheels. They won't cause a problem with fender clearance on a GT but you might want to consider going to wider steel wheels, such as the Ford wheels that are advertised in TW.

What kind of mags are you taking off, condition, price, location?

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

sbca96
03-21-2006, 12:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by N8N
215s are pushing it with the stock 4.5" wide wheels.

Yah .. 215 is WAY too wide for the "pizza cutter" stock wheels, you
will want to use 205 as your max, but the reality is that the best
size for those rims are a 195/75 .. which is the same size as a VW
Bug (the original one). Thats grossly undersized for the weight of
the vehicle. I agree with the Ford or Chrysler rims. I got a set
off a larger Chrysler for my Avanti years ago. Stock hub caps fit.

Of course I am running 245/45 R17's now and LOVE um! Kinda wish I had
gone with 255 or 265;). I have 275/40s on the Impala SS, people who
ride in the car comment on how nice it rides. If the suspension is
set up right .. you can run pretty much any tire that fits.

Tom

1963 Studebaker Avanti (http://hometown.aol.com/sbca96/images/63avanti.jpg), 102,000, custom made brake brackets to mount 1998 Mustang GT 4 wheel disc brakes (soon to get 13" Cobra front brakes, 2003 Mustang Cobra 17" wheels, GM altenator, will be getting : 97 Camaro Z28 tan leather seats, 97 Camaro Z28 T-56 6-speed trans, Ported 'R3' style Avanti heads with stainless full flow valves, 'R3' 276 duration cam w/chrysler solid lifters, shortened push rods, aluminum cam gear, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires, waiting in the garage.

Harv
03-21-2006, 02:31 PM
Nate, Tom & All,

Thanks for the help guys. I've attached a photo link to my two cars. I have '76 Chrys 15x6.5 wheels on my '50 Starlight. It has '55 Cmdr front brakes (5-bolt) and a '51 Champ (3.73:1) 5-bolt rear axle on it. It goes real well with the Cathcart 191 cid / 145 HP engine in it. I plan to use the same wheels (15x6.5) on the GT. I guess that 215s will be good with those wheels. As I've mentioned, it has rear air shocks. I believe it was done to raise the rear as it may sit level without them since there is a set of small overload-helper leafs also installed. I'll definitely ck out the front and rear springs for sag when I put on the Classic Gas Gabriels. I believe that the GT's wheels are American and the raised tires are from Sears? Not sure what to ask for the set. I am in the western 'burbs of Detroit in Canton, Mich.

Regards, Harv [8D]

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g59/Harvey2422/50Starlight64GTR1Hawk.jpg

StudeBakerHarv

Laemmle
03-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Harv,

Your two "rides" look BEAUTIFUL!....[:p]

They give your neighborhood CLASS![^]

Love the Starlight though.........;)

Glad to see that the state of Mich is not Detroit!:D

sbca96
03-21-2006, 05:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Harv
I plan to use the same wheels (15x6.5) on the GT. I guess that 215s will be good with those wheels.

Yes .. they should be fine on the 6.5 wheels. Just make sure that you
check the clearance between the rear fenders and the tire! Depending
on the offset of the wheel that can cut your tire up good.

quote:I believe that the GT's wheels are American and the raised tires are from Sears? Not sure what to ask for the set.

Unfortunately the picture is from too far away to see what the wheels
look like. Depending on size, age, and condition of the tires, you
can sell to someone with an older Dodge or Ford.

Tom